Cris
Cris, Technician
Experience:  3yrs. experience with Android phone and tablets.
10156100

my samsung galaxy S2 is using up data on my data plan and iam

Customer Question

my samsung galaxy S2 is using up data on my data plan and iam not doing anything on the phone that would make it do this. can you get a virus on this smart phone or is it a malfunction of this phone.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.

ITCris :

Hi

ITCris :

Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris.

ITCris :

Do you access email on your phone, games, weather?

Customer:

yes sometimes

ITCris :

All of these apps use data, some apps such as email weather and other apps constantly update on there own in the back ground using data.

ITCris :

How many email accounts do you have configured on the phone?

Customer:

about 15

ITCris :

You have 15 email accounts on your phone?

Customer:

sorry about 2

ITCris :

OK, it appears that your phone is using background data which you are unaware of on top of whatever else you do surfing web, playing games etc..

Customer:

or u taking about apps that come with phone or what u dowload.

ITCris :

both

Customer:

it is using up data when not in use as if we r looking at movies or listing to music. i do mean a lot of data tahing about 4500 MB in two days and we or not doing nothing on the phone.

ITCris :

Do you have WiFi Hotspot turned on?

Customer:

yes WiFi AT&T and Wifi at home.

ITCris :

The phone has capabilities of turning into a WiFi hotspot which devices can connect to and gain internet access on a device.

ITCris :

IS this turned on?

Customer:

yes

ITCris :

OK, turn that off. Someone might be connecting to your phone and using your internet data.

Customer:

thats under setting right....

ITCris :

Yes go to Settings then Wireless & Networks

Customer:

what about my WiFi at home for my computer..

ITCris :

That's fine, you can leave WiFi on but turn off WiFi hotspot.

Customer:

ok turned off hotspot anythingelse i can do about those apps...

ITCris :

I think that was your culprit once you said 3GB in 2 days that sounded a alarm that you had WiFi Hotspot turned on.

ITCris :

I was thinking you were using 3GB in a "WHOLE" month.

ITCris :

Someone nearby was able to pick up the hotspot from your phone was mostly connecting with a PC and using your data.

Customer:

no it has been doing this since the 21ist of last month and has used all 3GB and about 900MB and we was not doing anything to use that much.

ITCris :

It was the WiFi Hotspot.

That makes your phone a hotspot for devices to connect to and use your data.

Customer:

so my home home computer does not effect my smatphone even when iam using the computer at home just someone else computer when u r out and about driving or sitting in one spot.

ITCris :

Yes, that is correct.

Customer:

called AT&T they said looks like we were looking at movies or listing to music or playing alot of games online which we were not.

ITCris :

That's proves my point your WiFi Hotspot was turned on. Someone was accessing your internet data and doing those things.

Customer:

U would think AT&T would tell u about this since this is there WiFi. I need to call them to not charge me for this happing since this there Wifi.

ITCris :

You can try that.

Customer:

now if this does not work is there sommething else that can be done to stop this from happing again....

ITCris :

stop what from happening?

Customer:

using up my data... r u 100% sure that WiFi hotspot was the culpit.

ITCris :

Yes, AT&T verified where the data was used for things you were not doing. You also verified that your WiFi Hotspot was turned on.

ITCris :

I have seen this issue many times where WiFi Hotspot is turned on and left on. Then people at any time can connect and access the internet data.

Customer:

will go 24hrs without doing anything on phone but talking and texting to see what happens... is this the last time takling about this without paying again....

ITCris :

You can come back if you need to ask a follow up question regarding this issue w/o paying again.

ITCris :

Save this page to your favorites/bookmarks, so you can easily get back to the site. When you reach the site click on login (top right) and use the email you created the JustAnswer account with. If you don’t know the password XXXXX on “forgot password” and it will be sent to your email. Once you are logged in click on “my questions” to get back to our conversation.

Then send me a message I will get back to you as soon as possible. You are notified via email when I respond.

Customer:

ok thanks hope it works.......

ITCris :

Your welcome!

ITCris :

Clicking Accept for my time is greatly appreciated.

Cris, Technician
Experience: 3yrs. experience with Android phone and tablets.
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.

I wanted to follow up and see how did you make out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

With WiFi hotspot turned off it used 100MB in the last 24hrs. is this normal maybe apps were upgrading ?

Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
Yes that's normal.

Apps updating, email, weather updates, any other data using.

Go to the Google app store "Google Play" and download My data Manager Free.

The app can track your data usage and you can see where most is going.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks will try that......
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.