Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

How can I confirm whether someone has hacked into my android

How can I confirm whether someone has hacked into my android phone and tablet A200? I ask because yesterday I received a notification that all text messages should be transferred also and it displayed the number. However, I did not write down the information. To ease my discomfort I reset my android HTC eco back to the manufactured product. As a result I have lot all my contacts. Hopefully, I down nloaded a back up. Meanwhile, I need to beef up my security on the tablet and HTC eco. Please help. Mr. Still Rodriguez, Sr.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved!

First Mr. Rodriguez let me ease your mind a bit. Before I continue, let me tell you why I am qualified to tell you what I am going to. I am an Android Developer, who has been working with the Android OS since its inception. I work on the most used custom version of Android in the world CyanogenMOD (cyanogenmod.com), what that means, is that I re-write Android from its source code. That means I have a complete and thorough knowledge of the Android OS down to every line of code that runs on it.

With that being said, lets clear a few things up.

1. 1. You were not "hacked" into. Your devices cannot be "hacked", not in the way you are thinking. In the loosest sense, the only way your devices could be "hacked", is if someone had access to them physically and access to a computer, and your password XXXXX the devices, all at the same time while you were not watching. This way they could install apps on your device while you weren't watching.

However, the fact is, you would see whatever they installed, in your apps-list. You cannot "hide" installed apps on your devices. The simple fact is, your devices are far more secure than you think they are... by a long shot.

2. 2. There are no "viruses" on an Android device. Its pretty awful what the companies like Avast, Norton, AVG, etc have done. They use the "fear" of you getting a virus to install and purchase their apps. Android isn't like Windows, they dont get "viruses" (as of now there are zero viruses in the sense you know a virus). They can get "adware", but thats the extent of it. A virus relies on being able to do a few things. One, it has to be able to install itself and other files... this is impossible on Android as anything that gets installed has to ask you for permission to install, and there is no way around that. Two, a virus needs to be able to open other already installed programs to access their data. This is also impossible on Android, as every app is "sandboxed". That means they each run on their own virtual environment... basically walled off from other apps.
  3. I can say to you without a doubt, that in no way, shape, or form, did you get hacked or have a virus on your phone.

If you saw a "notification", then what you got was actually an "ad". Its disgusting, but these ads are embedded in apps now, and there sole intent is to do exactly what happened to you.. to scare you into thinking something happened and make you purchase antivirus apps, and even sign up for monthly fees to "make sure" your phone is safe. This is a horrible practice and is being investigated by Google to ensure they can find a way to stop it without blocking "real" ads.

As long as you only install apps from the Play Store or the Amazon Appstore, your phone will not install anything malicious. If you are installing "low rated" and newer "free" apps.. you always run the risk of installing one that uses those "push ads" (push ads are the type that show up in your notification bar, even when you're not using the app). However, should you ever start seeing those ads again you can install a free app called Ad Detector (see it here) which will tell you which apps are using what type of advertising, so you can uninstall the ones causing it.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...

Please press the Accept Button(and the Smiley Face if prompted Laughing) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you anymore, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team