CompuGuru
CompuGuru, Enthusiast
Experience:  Have worked with the Android Operating System for 3 years
66348605

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, I copied a bunch of photos onto

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, I copied a bunch of photos onto my computer and somehow they have copied as .tec files which my computer cannot open, even with photoshop. Can you please tell me how I can open these files as the photos are from a recent trip to Vietnam and I don't want to lose them
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
What version of windows or mac is on the computer?
How exactly did you copy the files?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have Windows 7

can't recall exactly how I transferred the files over, couldn't get the phone set up for bluetooth so I think I connected it by USB and copied the files over

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok you most likely copied the wrong files over because .tec is not a format used by any top of photos. Connect it to your computer with a usb cable. Then click on start and open computer. Open your galaxy from here it may show up as only a letter. Then look for a DCIM folder that is the folder that would contain photos.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not think you are correct, in fact if you look on this same website you will see there are other people who are wanting clarification on this. A .tec is a Samsung extension file. I have tried to do what you suggested, though can't see how this was offering a solution. I tried copying the files back over to the phone but they haven't turned up there, even though the process seemed to go ok. Nothing on my computer will open the files
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
They are samsung files they are not image files as I mentioned in my answer. Please follow the steps I gave you and let me know if you get stuck at any pint for example if you dont see the DCIM folder. The files you are transfering .tec are not the images.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done what you suggest. There is nothing on the phone in the Gallery folder. The files have all been copied over to my computer and are either .tec or .arc files. So I do not think you understand what I am asking, I am not interested in any files still on my phone, I am only interested in being able to open the files already loaded onto my computer. So I need to know what software or other means there is to achieve this. I apprreciate any assistance you can give me
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
I've alreadty told you multiple times .tec is not an image file. Ill opt out good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think your tech guy needs to read what has been written. I don't care if the file is an image file or not, I need to know how to either open the files or convert them to a form where I can open them. To just "opt out" suggests the guy does not know the answer, in which case he should just say so!!!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me rephrase to make it clear, it is not a valid file format for any program which you can see here: Click Here I opted out because you ignored my answer which is these files are not your images, or something you can open they are files used by your Samsung only.
Expert:  CompuGuru replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sir or Madam, my name is David.

I will be the new JustAnswer Expert handling your Android case today.

Can you tell me what folder the .tec and .arc files are located in on your computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the folders are in My Libraries folder under Pictures. Why is that important? I have to say I was not impressed with the other guy who was responding to my questions. What does it matter what type of file it is, .tec or arc files? My question was, how can I open these, or change the file type so the files can be opened. I was somehow able to copy them across to my computer. I tried copying them back but it didn't work, maybe I did this wrong. I am very keen to access them as they are from a recent trip to Vietnam and Thailand.

cheers

Expert:  CompuGuru replied 2 years ago.
Can you please send me One of the Tec files via www.wikisend.com?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

http://wikisend.com/download/187962/8484800480.arc

http://wikisend.com/download/465400/2047040784002.tec

Expert:  CompuGuru replied 2 years ago.
Please connect your device to your computer. Then click on Start/My Computer, locate the drive that is your device, and open it. On that drive should be a DCIM folder. Please copy that entire folder to your desktop. On your desktop, right click on that folder and then Send To/Compressed (zipped) folder.

This will compress all of that into a single file. Please upload that resulting file to http://www.wikisend.com and provide the URL here.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have only copied 2 files as I can't upload the whole folder, only each individual file. I am hoping you will find a way that I can convert these files that I can then use on all the other files. For me to upload them all will mean doing one, exiting the site, re-entering and uploading another one, unless you have a better idea?

C:\Users\Hal Martin\Desktop\from phone\2047040784002.tec

C:\Users\Hal Martin\Desktop\from phone\2078400470404.tec

Expert:  CompuGuru replied 2 years ago.
In order to send all the files in the entire folder, you must do this:

On your desktop, right click on the "from phone" folder and then click Send To then /Compressed (zipped) folder.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

C:\Users\Hal Martin\Desktop\from phone.zip

Expert:  CompuGuru replied 2 years ago.
OK, now upload the "from phone.zip" file to www.wikisend.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

http://wikisend.com/download/316394/from phone.zip

sorry, I realised that I hadn't clicked upload, here it is

Expert:  CompuGuru replied 2 years ago.
One of two things has happened:

1. You have erased all your photos from your device and overwritten them with these tec files

2. You are looking in the wrong place on your SD Card.

These files truly do have something to do with the images, but what they are is cache files of the thumbnails that your device displays in the gallery.

These files SHOULD be in \sdcard\DCIM\Camera\Cache . The JPEG pictures themselves will be located in \sdcard\DCIM\Camera.

That was why I said: On that drive should be a DCIM folder. Please copy that entire folder to your desktop. On your desktop, right click on that folder and then Send To/Compressed (zipped) folder.

But it seems like you just copied the Cache folder contents.
CompuGuru, Enthusiast
Experience: Have worked with the Android Operating System for 3 years