Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

i have a galaxy s2 there is no sound coming out of speaker

i have a galaxy s2 there is no sound coming out of speaker yet there is
when you put in the headphones
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes still need a answer thank you

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved!

Is there no sound, no matter what/when you are doing? Can you get sound when on a call and you use speakerphone, or when playing a youtube video, etc.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i get sound on calls meaning i can hear people its like the phone is on silent.
there is no sound for ringtones, apps or even opening the lock screen there is no sound cannot use speakerphone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cannot use speaker phone but if i plug in external speaker into headphone connection the sounds work

"i get sound on calls meaning i can hear people its like the phone is on silent.
there is no sound for ringtones, apps or even opening the lock screen there is no sound cannot use speakerphone"

That means your speaker is defective. This can be caused by two things. One, it can be software related and we can reset the device to resolve the issue (see below). Two, if a reset does not solve the issue then the speaker itself is bad and you can get a free replacement from your carrier. Since the phone is such a new model, as long as there is no serious physical damage to the phone your carrier will replace it when something it wrong with the hardware.

About resetting your phone (this has the best chance of fixing it, as long as the speaker itself isn't broken):

As long as you have a Google account synced to your device, your contacts, calendar, etc. will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial setup again as long as you sign in with the same Google/Gmail account. Any apps you have paid for, you can get back after you reset the device by opening the Market, pressing Menu on the phone and choosing "My Apps".

I recommend you go to http://google.com/contacts on your computer(with the same google account thats on the phone) then check all your contact groups to make sure the contacts are synced(if not, ask me about contact backup instructions).

As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card(images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phones internal memory is formatted.

To reset:

1. Open the Settings App
  2. Choose Privacy
  3. Choose Factory Data Reset

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i need contact backup instructions please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please need contact backup instructions

Sorry, I was not online when you replied. Here are the steps:

To backup and then restore your contacts, please follow these steps exactly:

Backing up the contacts: (This is done BEFORE you reset a phone)

1. Open your Android Market app and install "GO Contacts EX"
  2. Once the app is installed open it so it shows your main list of contacts
  3. Press the Menu button on the phone
  4. Choose the IM-Export option
  5. Choose Export to SD card
  6. Confirm your choice and make note that it will backup the contacts to a file with todays date on it.
  7. Get confirmation the data is backed up, Choose the Im-Export feature again and choose to import from SD and if it will allow you to restore the contacts to either the phone or your Google account then you have them backed up.
  8. Now that its backed up to your SD card, you can reset the phone (to be on the complete safe side remove the SD card before you reset, even though it doesn't touch the SD card, I would hate for you to be the one in a million time when it happens).

Restoring the contacts: (This is done AFTER you reset a phone)

3. Press the Menu button on the phone
  4. Choose the IM-Export option
  5. Choose Import from SD
  6. Choose to restore them and create the contacts under your Google Account and NOT "phone" contacts. Now your contacts will be backed up to Google for easier syncing in the future.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it worked for a split second then went back to no sound

Try the reset again(two times)(reset it, then log in to the phone so you can get to the settings, then reset it again). If it still wont stay working, then you have good reason for your carrier to replace it.

Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team