Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

My camera and video doesnt work anymore on my htc vivid

My camera and video doesn't work anymore on my htc vivid
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved!

When you say your camera and video doesnt work, I assume you mean the video camera part of the camera, and not the actual playback of videos on the device... right?

If so, we should be able to fix it quickly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The camera and video camera........when I go to it to turn it on it shows a pic and automatically goes back to the home screen I haven't made any vids yet because I just got this phone ok can view my pics and all its just actually going to the camera or camcorder part that is the issues

1. Open the Settings App
  2. Choose Applications
  3. Choose Manage Applications
  4. Tap on the All Tab at the top
  5. Locate and tap on the Camera app
  6. Tap on the Clear Data button (your devices data will not be deleted, only the data in this app)
  7. Tap on the OK button to confirm.
  8. Reboot the device

This will clear out the corrupt data that is causing the force stop of the app and preventing it from running correctly.

If you have any further questions or this solution does not resolve the issue, please feel free to let me know...

Please press the Accept Button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you anymore, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Visit HelpWithAndroid.com and bookmark the page so you can get me directly with any questions in the future.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that didn't work :(

Unfortunately you will have to perform a factory reset of the device. As I mentioned, there was a chance it would not be a serious issue and that the fix woul be simple, but the fact that didnt work means the error is actually at a system level and the only reoslution will be to reset it, but its not as bad as it seems.

As long as you have a Google account synced to your device, your contacts, calendar, etc. will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial setup again as long as you sign in with the same Google/Gmail account. Any apps you have paid for, you can get back after you reset the device by opening the Market, pressing Menu on the phone and choosing "My Apps".

I recommend you go to http://google.com/contacts on your computer(with the same google account thats on the phone) then check all your contact groups to make sure the contacts are synced(if not, ask me about contact backup instructions).

As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card(images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phones internal memory is formatted.

To complete a Factory Reset follow these directions:

1. Remove the battery.
  2. Replace the battery but do not power the device on.
  3. Hold down the Volume Down button then press the Power button. Hold the Power button for 2 seconds and release it without releasing the Volume Down button.
  4. Your phone will boot into fastboot/hboot mode.
  5. Follow the instructions on screen to navigate through the options.
  6. Choose Clear Storage (sometimes named 'Wipe Data / Factory Reset')
  7. Confirm your choice and wait for the device to do the rest of the work.
  8. When the device reboots, follow the on screen instructions to setup your new device.

Please press the Accept Button(or the Smiley Face if prompted ) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you anymore, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Omg it still didn't work....I dunno what else to do

I'm going to be very honest and blunt here. If that did not work, if you for sure did a factory reset (you would have had to setup the phone again when you turned it back on), and its still not working then your camera itself (the hardware) has become defective and your only option is calling your carrier and getting a replacement.

IU know thats not what you want to hear, but the truth none the less, so its what you deserve.

Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I did all the above you have mentioned and it sux to say that I have to agree with u Lolz ughhhhhhhh thanx

I know its really frustrating, and I wish I had better news, but some things... are out of our control Yell.