Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

My Samsung galaxy S wont turn on, it is charged / charging

My Samsung galaxy S wont turn on, it is charged / charging and it will turn on to the point that the menu screen should show up. But then it freezes (with a black screen) and buzzes every now and again. I've tryed taking the battery, sim and memory card out and putting it all back together but this hasnt worked either. What should I do?

Thanks! DannyArmstrong
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved!

Is this the original Galaxy S? (Look under the battery on the phone, is it the GT i9000?).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes thats the one!

Ok, there are a couple things wrong here and they vary from minor to major. No matter what it is though, we can resolve it (as long as its not a hardware failure, which is rarely ever is).

Lets just start with the easiest fix, and if that doesnt work we can move on.

1. Remove the battery.
  2. Replace the battery but do not power the device on.
  3. Hold down the Volume UP and Home buttons then press the Power button for four seconds. Release the power button but DO NOT release the other buttons.
  4. Your phone will boot into hboot mode.
  5. Follow the instructions on screen to navigate through the options.
  6. Select Clear Cache Partition.
  7. Now confirm your choice.
  8. When it completes, if it doesnt reboot on its own, select reboot system now.

If the same issue occurs, let me know and we will continue.

If it doesnt and the phone starts, please press the Accept Button so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you anymore, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Visit HelpWithAndroid.com and bookmark the page so you can get me directly with any questions in the future.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I managed to get through the steps, and i've tried turning it on again, but same result! Thank you for showing me that though, it was cool!

What should i try next?

Cheers
Danny

You used whats called the Recovery Partition, it becomes much more usefull if you're rooted, as you use it to flash new versions of Android onto your phone. For instance, all hour of the Galaxy S's I have all are running Android 4.03 Ice Cream Sandwich.

But, about the phones problem. Unfortunately, if you used the recovery to clear the cache partition and it still wont boot then there is an issue with corrupt data either in the kernel or the OS itself and we will need to reset it to fix it.

As long as you have a Google account synced to your device, your contacts, calendar, etc. will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial setup again as long as you sign in with the same Google/Gmail account. Any apps you have paid for, you can get back after you reset the device by opening the Market, pressing Menu on the phone and choosing "My Apps".

As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card(images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phones internal memory is formatted.

To complete a Factory Reset follow the same directions I gave you before, but choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset from the menu instead. That will restore your phone to an out-of-the-box condition, resolving whatever the prroblem is.

If you have any further questions or this solution does not resolve the issue, please feel free to let me know...
Please press the Accept Button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you anymore, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team