Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

My Samsung Galaxy S Won't Turn On

My Samsung Galaxy S won't turn on. It is charged/charging and it will turn on to the point that the menu screen should show up. But then it freezes (with a black screen) and buzzes every now and then. I've tried taking the battery, sim and memory card out and putting it all back together but this hasn't worked either. What should I do?

Thanks! DannyArmstrong

Is this the original Galaxy S? (Look under the battery on the phone, is it the GT i9000?).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that's the one!

Ok, there are a couple of things wrong here and they vary from minor to major. No matter what it is though, we can resolve it (as long as its not a hardware failure, which rarely ever is).

Lets just start with the easiest fix, and if that doesn't work we can move on.

1. Remove the battery.
  2. Replace the battery but do not power the device on.
  3. Hold down the Volume UP and Home buttons then press the Power button for four seconds. Release the power button but DO NOT release the other buttons.
  4. Your phone will boot into hboot mode.
  5. Follow the instructions on screen to navigate through the options.
  6. Select Clear Cache Partition.
  7. Now confirm your choice.
  8. When it completes, if it doesn't reboot on its own, select reboot system now.

If the same issue occurs, let me know and we will continue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I managed to get through the steps, and I've tried turning it on again, but same result! Thank you for showing me that though, it was cool! What should i try next?

You used what is called the Recovery Partition, it becomes much more useful if you're rooted, as you use it to flash new versions of Android onto your phone. For instance, all hour of the Galaxy S's I have all are running Android 4.03 Ice Cream Sandwich.

But, about the phone's problem, unfortunately, if you used the recovery to clear the cache partition and it still wont boot then there is an issue with corrupt data either in the kernel or the OS itself and we will need to reset it to fix it.

As long as you have a Google account synced to your device, your contacts, calendar, etc. will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial set up again as long as you sign in with the same Google/Gmail account. Any apps you have paid for, you can get back after you reset the device by opening the Market, pressing Menu on the phone and choosing "My Apps".

As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card(images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phones internal memory is formatted.

To complete a Factory Reset follow the same directions I gave you before, but choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset from the menu instead. That will restore your phone to an out-of-the-box condition, resolving whatever the problem is.