Randy
Randy, Customer Service
Experience:  Expert in service,repair of all Android devices.
62741268

Does my kindle fire have the ability to read a book aloud to

Does my kindle fire have the ability to read a book aloud to me. If so, how do I activate this feature?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
I will be glad to assist you,
The existence of the read-aloud feature is controversial because some publishers say the feature raises copyright issues by creating what is basically an unlicensed audio book. Advocacy groups for the blind say removing the read-aloud feature would unfairly hinder the ability of the disabled to use the Kindle to their advantage.

Amazon has decided to leave it up to publishers to enable the Kindle’s read-aloud function on a title-by-title basis.

Activating the Kindle Read-Aloud Feature

To make the Kindle “read aloud” function work, follow these steps:

1. Press the “text” key. This is the key marked with the symbol “Aa.”

2. Use the 5-way controller to highlight the “Text-to-Speech” option.

3. Press down on the 5-way controller to select “turn on.” You should begin to hear the text of your book spoken aloud through the Kindle’s external speakers. If you wish, you can plug in headphones to listen privately.

Kindle Text-to-Speech Settings

The Kindle’s default voice is male. You can use the 5-way controller to select a female speaking voice instead. The voice’s rate of speech can be increased or decreased as well as paused — all using the 5-way controller. While Text-to-Speech is playing the screen will update to the corresponding page of text.

The Kindle begins to read at the start of the page by default. To start at a particular spot on the page, simply move the cursor to the place on the page you’d like to begin before turning on the feature. If, when you attempt to select “Text-to-Speech” only to find it grayed-out, then your title’s publisher has deactivated the Kindle’s ability to read aloud from this e-book.

You can also activate the Kindle’s read-aloud function by holding down the “Shift” key (marked by an upward-pointing arrow) and the “Symbol” key (SYM) at the same time for a few seconds. You can also pause and resume the feature using the Spacebar.
Randy, Customer Service
Experience: Expert in service,repair of all Android devices.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the 5-way controller. I have selected the text key and on the kindle fire the next thing that comes up shows, text, margins, page color and line spacing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This does not solve my problem. I can't get sound on my kindle fire with the information you have provideed.
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.

I apologize for the misinformation you were given by the previous expert.

Unfortunately, the Kindle Fire does not have the built in TTS technology that is built into other Android devices. They plan to add it in an upcoming update(no release date) but as of right now, you cannot use Text To Speach on a Kindle Fire.