Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.How can I get photos out

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.

How can I get photos out of that phone and on to my MacBook Pro?

It is not as simple as connecting a cable to the computer.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
I will be glad to assist you,
On your phone,
go to settings>applications>development>turn on debugging mode.
Let me know if this works for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay...I debugged the phone..I connected it to the Macbook.

I opened iPhotos...nothing happened.

I am not an expert with iPhotos. How do i tell it to import the photos from the Galaxy S2?
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

I apologize, but the answer posted before is misinformed. USB Debugging has nothing to do with you syncing your photos to your Mac and if you did enable it, please go back and disable it. The Samsung Android devices, use a program from Samsung called Kies to sync media.

Please go here, download Kies for Mac and install it. By installing it, it will install the needed drivers for your device, and allow it to sync.

When you are done, run the program and then plug your device into the Mac and you will be able to sync your photos to the Mac.Also, if you are interested in syncing files wirelessly, let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Kies file appears to be a Windows application. I have a MacBook Pro.

Will that still work?

Maybe it will be easier to do it wirelessly?

There is a version for Kies... notice it under the large animated image.. it has two download links.. one for Mac.

Also, here are some instructions for syncing them wirelessly (for free) Wink.

Use Dropbox:

• - Visit Dropbox by clicking here (watch the video if you want, its VERY informative!). Sign up for a FREE account and download the Mac Software they provide.
  • - Now open the Market app on your Android and search the Market for "dropbox".
  • - Once the dropbox app installs on your Android, sign in using the same account you just created on their website.
  • - That's it, now the simple part.
  • - Open up ANY file (picture, video, etc.) that you have on your Android and press the Menu button on the phone. Choose to "Share" the file, and choose Dropbox as the app to share it with. (I recommend using WiFi when syncing for the first time to make it go faster)
  • - As soon as its done uploading, the file will instantly become available on your computer in the Dropbox folder that you now have thanks to the Mac software you installed!
  • - This also works in reverse, if you wish to you can drop a file into your dropbox folder on your computer and it will be available by opening the dropbox app on your phone.

This is by far the easiest way to wirelessly sync files to and from your pc!

A little hint. ANY file you have synced with your dropbox account is also available via dropbox.com , so you can access them from any browser on any computer, anywhere.

How to Share FOLDERS of images, without sharing them one by one to dropbox.

• - Download a free app called "QuickPic" (its a Gallery app, but with far more features than the stock one you are using)
  • - Once it loads all your images open the folder that has all the images you want to send to your pc
  • - Press the Menu button on your phone
  • - Choose multi select
  • - Press Menu again and choose select all
  • - Press Menu again and choose Share and select Dropbox.

Now all those images will upload to your computer.

If you have any further questions or this solution does not resolve the issue, please feel free to let me know.

Please press the Accept Button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time Assisting you. Keep in mind that JustAnswer does NOT pay me salary and only by you pressing accept am I compensated! Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Positive Feedback & Bonuses are not necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!! Visit HelpWithAndroid.com and bookmark the page so you can get me directly with any questions in the future.

Did you have any further questions or concerns?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I opened a photo in my Gallery.

Where is there a Menu button when the photo is on the screen?

You may not see the menu button, for some reason they turn it off on some models.

In that case, after you open the "folder" that has your images in it, to share one to Dropbox, just hold your finger on the thumbnail for the image and a menu will popup and you can choose share from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the Menu button I am supposed to press when a photo is on the screen of my Android?

And how is this method (using Dropbox) easier than simply connecting the phone to my computer?

Its not always "easier", but it allows you to do things you cannot do if you are not "at" your computer. Its not just for images its for ANY file type, so it allows you to sync files to and from your computer no matter where you are in relation to the computer.

If you are out, and take a couple hundred pictures.. then of course plugging it in and using Kies to sync the media will be faster (even though you can sync an entire "folder" of images at once with Dropbox)..

Please press the Accept Button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you anymore, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated! Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Visit HelpWithAndroid.com and bookmark the page so you can get me directly with any questions in the future!!

Also, I answered the other question about the menu button prior to my last reply:

1/31/2012 at 9:31 PM (10 minutes and 18 seconds later)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Eric...can I talk to you on Skype, or Google voice?

What you are telling me is not jibing with what is showing on the phone?

I wish we were able to! We have been asking for that feature, but as of right now we can only contact you through this site or risk losing our jobs!

However, if you go back and use any of the steps I gave you... you should be able to substitute the physical button to the left of the center/ok button on the phone as the Menu button... Go back and try any of the methods I gave you, but use the left physical button below the screen to open a menu.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, Eric. There is no physical button to the left of any center/ok button...because there is no center/ok button.

Can you try to explain how to do it through the cable?

I have the Kies software AND the Dropbox software on both the phone and the computer.

You have the Samsung Galaxy S2 correct? If so, the Menu button is the far left button on the phone, under the screen.

As far as your last question, if you installed Kies on the Mac, then just run the program and then plug the phone into the computer. You will see Kies recognize the device and register it with the program and you can then browse and sync the media on your device.

Can I help you any further? Let me know if you need anything else

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
!