Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

My samsung galaxy cell phone off of a sudden wont answer calls.

Customer Question

My samsung galaxy cell phone off of a sudden wont answer calls. when the phone rings, none of the buttons come up and a box pops up that says "process com.android. phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" Force Close. Please help
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Waitongu2 replied 2 years ago.

Do you remember the last App you installed? If yoiu do you can try see if uninstalling the app will help. We can also check for updates. To do this go to Settings>>About phone>>System Update.

If you are on the latest update then we will need to perform a hard reset:

To do this:

First, try this:

1. From the main home screen, tap menu
  2. Tap Settings, then Privacy
  3. Tap Factory data reset
  4. Tap Reset phone
  5. Enter your password, then tap Yes to confirm

If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

1. Turn the power off. If your Samsung Galaxy S is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Press and release the Power button
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the Samsung Galaxy S. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Eric and I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Please do not reset your phone as previously instructed. There is absolutely no reason to do that and lose any of your data.

Follow these steps and it will resolve the problem, without a reset.

1. Open the Settings App
  2. Choose Applications
  3. Choose Manage Applications
  4. Tap on the 'All' tab at the top
  5. Locate and tap on the Phone app
  6. Tap on the Clear Data button
  7. Tap on the OK button to confirm.

If you have any further questions or this solution does not resolve the issue, please feel free to ask.

Please press the Accept Button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time Assisting you. Keep in mind that JustAnswer does NOT pay me salary and only by you pressing accept am I compensated! Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Positive Feedback & Bonuses are not necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!! Visit HelpWithAndroid.com and bookmark the page so you can get me directly with any questions in the future.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Eric, I have tried what you said and it still does not work. I cleared the data the way you told me to, I called my cell from my home phone, tapped the answer button and it did the same thing, it popped a box up that said process com.android. phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" Force Close. So I went back to try and do it again, but there is nothing to clear. Please help. I cant receive any phone calls!!

OK, lets try another method to clear even more data.

1. Remove the battery.
  2. Replace the battery but do not power the device on.
  3. Hold down the Volume UP and Home buttons then press the Power button for four seconds. Release the power button but DO NOT release the other buttons.
  4. Your phone will boot into hboot mode.
  5. Follow the instructions on screen to navigate through the options.
  6. Choose Wipe Cache Partition
  7. When it completes, choose reboot system now

After it reboots, follow the first set of steps I gave you and reboot again.