Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

toshiba thrive will not boot

Customer Question

toshiba thrive will not boot
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Can you be a little more specific? Does it attempt to boot, do you see any logos, does it just not have any power at all and only shows a blank screen as if its not even trying to turn on, etc.?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when I power it up it stays stuck on a screen that says Toshiba Innovation then seems to power off then that screen comes back - and just keeps doing this

OK, there could be a few things wrong here ranging from needing a simple fix without losing any data, or a complete reset.

Lets try the easy fix first!

1. Make sure the device is off
  2. Hold down the Volume UP button then press the Power button. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds and release it without releasing the Volume Up button.
  3. Your Thrive will boot into hboot mode.
  4. The tablet will boot into a screen with 3 icons on it, use the volume button to choose the middle icon (Box with an Arrow coming out of it) and press the power button to select that icon/option.
  5. Choose Wipe Cache Partition and select it.
  6. Once it completes, choose to reboot system now and let it reboot

If that doesnt work, let me know.

If it does work Please press the Accept Button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time Assisting you. Keep in mind that JustAnswer does NOT pay me salary and only by you pressing accept am I compensated! Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Positive Feedback & Bonuses are not necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!! Visit HelpWithAndroid.com and bookmark the page so you can get me directly with any questions in the future.

Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wouldnt it be great if the easy fix ever worked ;-) . It says booting recovery kernel image then goes back to the same screen

So, basically you're saying that it never even boots into the Recovery image and you cannot even choose to wipe the cache partition?

I hope thats not what you're saying, as if it is, then thats a much larger issue and we may run into a lot of problems trying to restore it as the Recovery partition is like the "last resort" option for an Android device.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thats what Im saying

OK, please try and boot into recovery at least three more times, while you are doing that... I will see if I can locate the file needed to restore the device if indeed the Thrive wont load into Recovery Yell

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no go. I can return it if you think its going to be more trouble than its worth- I just bought it a couple of months ago.

If you cannot get it to load into the Recovery, then we need to flash new firmware. Unfortunately, Toshiba doesnt make this as easy as other manufacturers do (ones that have more experience designing Android Tablets).

My suggestion is that you either get a replacement, or in the next 48 hours or so I may be able to get the official firmware update from Toshiba that you need. While I can get the firmware from unofficial channels, if you were to flash this and something went wrong, Toshiba wouldnt accept it as a return on its warranty which is why I will only give my customers official firmware.

So, its up to you.

I apologize though, I pride myself on resolving my customers problems. So please, if you choose to return the tablet for an exchange, feel free to come back to this exact page and ask me any Android Related question in the future without being charged anything else, its the least I can do.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im completely satisfied with your answer. I just thought Id give this a try just in case it was an easy fix since dealing with any manufacturer support is usually a dreadful experience. Silly to put both of us through anything that might be painfully time consuming when I can just return it. I wanted to love it and only used it a couple of times- Ill search for another brand. Thanks! marko

Would you mind if I recommended you a different tablet?

I own at least one of every Android Phone and Tablet on the Market (I am an Android Developer).

I can tell you the absolute best to get, if you are interested.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please do! I was thinking about checking out TMobile samsung tablet 10in that they now have and adding it to my mobile device plan

Well, thats a question I wanted to ask. Do you NEED a tablet that is on a mobile network, or does WiFi only work for you?

Also, whats your budget?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont actually NEED mobile-have the HTC G2.- love it. wifi alone is fine also. Id go up to 700. Not really interested in Ipad just so you know

I wouldn't recommend the iPad anyways

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
.

If you are willing to spend that amount, then there is only ONE tablet you need to even think about. The Asus Transformer Prime. Its without a doubt, hands down the best Android Tablet available.

Check it out here: http://eee.asus.com/en/eeepad/transformer-prime/features

You can purchase them on Amazon.com for $599.

It also, was just updated to Android 4.0 yesterday, so it will come with Ice Cream Sandwich for you (will prompt you for the update within a day of being used).

I am actually answering your question using one, in addition to the keyboard dock(which adds another 12 hours battery life). I can guarantee you will be blown away by the power of this tablet, as well as how smooth and quick it is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excellent! Thanks very much. Do you recommend their laptops too?

That depends on which model, they have some really nice ones, and some not so good ones too... but this is with all manufacturers I guess.

Asus has truly stepped up their game in the last two years though. They are actually the company that made the hardware for iPhones up to the 4S, so they DO have the ability to make good hardware.

As far as laptops go, I stopped using one when the original Asus Transformer came out (the TF101) because with its keyboard dock and extended battery life I dont need one anymore. I now use the new TF201(the Prime) and it replaces my laptop for everything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
looks great - Ill give it a try- thanks for the tip!
No problem, also if you ever need anything in the future you can get me directly at http://helpwithandroid.com!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
found it on Adorama for 499- looks awesome-

http://www.adorama.com/ASTF201B1GR.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_2979325

That's great, its also the first I have seen for that cheap, especially since they use the 32GB in the description.

Also, they note they don't have any in stock and its a pre-order so be careful!