For the Kies connection, please follow the step as shown:
1. Don't plug your phone to the computer yet.
2. Open Kies, from the settings turn off the options 'automatically start monitoring for device connection when Windows starts' and 'Start Kies automatically when device is connected'. For some reason the MTP installation failed each time Kies was open at the same time.
3. In Kies, click the Kies file menu on top of the application and select Driver recovery. Let it install the drivers, then reboot your computer.
4. Once rebooted, Kies shouldn't be running. Then plug your phone to the usb connection and select Samsung Kies mode.
5. Wait for the usb device to be detected and the drivers to be installed.
Now the MTP installation shouldn't fail.
6. Start Kies and begin using your phone.
Another alternative, please follow the steps as shown below:
1. Download the latest Kies installer (V188.8.131.5274_2_6 as of this writing)
2. Install Kies
3. Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Samsung
USB Driver for Mobile Phones
4. Use an UNZIP tool of your choice to extract SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe.cab from the installer executable
5. Extract SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe from the extracted CAB
6. Download and Run the driver installer you extracted with the following command-line
This will install only the 5 drivers you need for your Samsung Galaxy S and
omit the ~50 other drivers for various other phones which are also contained in the package.
If the software is unable to detect the phone, please use other USB port, restart the PC or reset your phone.
To reset the phone, go to Setting > Privacy > Factory data reset
Attachments are only available to registered users.