Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

My Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 h does not connect to Kies or

Customer Question

My Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 h does not connect to Kies or my PC in any way. The device manager states that it is an unknown device and does not load the driver. I have tried to connect my phone to three different computers and still no luck. Windows XP on one computer Vista 32 bit on the others. I have reloaded and updated Kies on three computers still no connection. I think there must be a USB signal issue with my phone. It does receive power/recharge through its USB port but cannot connect to computer for info sharing purposes.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
I will be glad to assist you,
When you connect with USB, do you set the phone to USB mass storage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have and it wasn't installed by the PC. Same with Kies.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

For the Kies connection, please follow the step as shown:

1. Don't plug your phone to the computer yet.

2. Open Kies, from the settings turn off the options 'automatically start monitoring for device connection when Windows starts' and 'Start Kies automatically when device is connected'. For some reason the MTP installation failed each time Kies was open at the same time.

3. In Kies, click the Kies file menu on top of the application and select Driver recovery. Let it install the drivers, then reboot your computer.

4. Once rebooted, Kies shouldn't be running. Then plug your phone to the usb connection and select Samsung Kies mode.

5. Wait for the usb device to be detected and the drivers to be installed.

Now the MTP installation shouldn't fail.

6. Start Kies and begin using your phone.

Another alternative, please follow the steps as shown below:

1. Download the latest Kies installer (V1.5.1.10074_2_6 as of this writing)

2. Install Kies

3. Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Samsung

USB Driver for Mobile Phones

4. Use an UNZIP tool of your choice to extract SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe.cab from the installer executable

5. Extract SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe from the extracted CAB

archive

6. Download and Run the driver installer you extracted with the following command-line

options:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5g6hry3noq6o47h

This will install only the 5 drivers you need for your Samsung Galaxy S and

omit the ~50 other drivers for various other phones which are also contained in the package.

If the software is unable to detect the phone, please use other USB port, restart the PC or reset your phone.

To reset the phone, go to Setting > Privacy > Factory data reset

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried your first suggestion. No luck. I tried the second suggestion but got confused in the whole Zip file thing. I could not find a .cab file for Samsung USB driver in the unzipped installer files. If I did it right?
Also my version of the installer is Kies 2.0
I tried to install the Driver fromt he web page you cited but it would not install.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Do you have windows computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am running Windows Vista Home premium 32bit
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Download from here and install...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Randy, I told you in my first report that I have loaded and reloaded Kies on a number of computers. My belief now is that there is something my phone is not doing right.(MTP signal issue) Otherwise why would three different computers act the same. I am wondering if something went wrong with my SD cards (mounted, unmounted etc. ) The problem did start after I took out my external SD card without unmounting it first. Or at least the problem began int he vicinity of that action. Also my phone had been freezing while plugged into USB for a few weeks before this new issue.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Would you like to do a factory restore and try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I may do that as the next step. Thanks
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay just let me know,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was not satisified with the help offered. Your information re: Kies updates was out of date and you did not read my initial request closely so then you offered ideas that I had already tried. Also in the end your advice was not what fixed my issue with my device.I would like my deposit refunded.
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXX XXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I noticed the previous expert had told you to set the Galaxy S to USB Mass Storage Mode.

That is incorrect. You need to set the phone to Kies Mode, so it sends the correct signal to the PC, have you done this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I said in a previous statement your expert did not help me and I fixed the problem using other advice. I would like my money refunded to my credit card.