sliver68420
sliver68420, Technician
Experience:  Have had many android devices. Experience working with electronics for over 11 years.

my computer no longer recognizes my droid phone usb connection.

Customer Question

my computer no longer recognizes my droid phone usb connection. The phone is fine, and the cables are fine. Do I need to do something to the usb drivers?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  sliver68420 replied 2 years ago.

Jamie Lee :

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would b happy to help

Customer :

Can you please help me get my computer to recognize my Droid again (it used to...)

Jamie Lee :

there is the usb mass storage driver and the android drivers required

Jamie Lee :

here is the android drivers http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

Jamie Lee :

let me know if that fixes it

Jamie Lee :

vista is supposed to have the drivers for it but if they are somehow corrupted and have been lost then a redownload should fix

Jamie Lee :

make sure you get the correct version....to check your bit version go to start...right click computer and choose properties

Jamie Lee :

:)

Customer :

I am on the site now. cross your fingers!

Jamie Lee :

crossing fingers and toes

Jamie Lee :

get the android usb driver

Jamie Lee :

its the one under the google one

Customer :

My computer asked me to update my Java JDK... doing that now.

Jamie Lee :

:)

Jamie Lee :

while you are doing that i am going to run downstairs and grab a soda....brb

Customer :

Awesome! I started supper here! :-D

Jamie Lee :

im back hows it going

Customer :

The download on the Java is complete and my computer is running a security scan on it.

Jamie Lee :

great :)

Jamie Lee :

did you download the second one...the one for android usb

Customer :

almost there...

Jamie Lee :

:)

Customer :

As far as I can tell... it is all installing now...

Jamie Lee :

you may have to reboot...bookmark this page incase

Customer :

Gotcha

Jamie Lee :

any luck yet

Customer :

The Android SDK Manager is downloading files... looks like about 80% complete

Jamie Lee :

cool :)

Jamie Lee :

keep me posted

Customer :

under the manager, I see the Google USB driver package... is the android usb in the same set up?

Jamie Lee :

yes its in there

Jamie Lee :

here are the install instructions

Jamie Lee :

Windows Vista

To install the Android USB driver on Windows Vista for the first time:

1. Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port. Windows will detect the device and launch the Found New Hardware wizard.

2. Select Locate and install driver software.

3. Select Don't search online.

4. Select I don't have the disk. Show me other options.

5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.

6. Click Browse and locate the USB driver folder. (The Google USB Driver is located in <sdk>\extras\google\usb_driver\.) As long as you specified the exact location of the installation package, you may leave Include subfolders checked or unchecked—it doesn't matter.

7. Click Next. Vista may prompt you to confirm the privilege elevation required for driver installation. Confirm it.

8. When Vista asks if you'd like to install the Google ADB Interface device, click Install to install the driver.

Or, to upgrade an existing Android USB driver on Windows Vista with the new driver:

1. Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port.

2. Right-click on Computer from your desktop or Windows Explorer, and select Manage.

3. Select Device Manager in the left pane.

4. Locate and expand ADB Interface in the right pane.

5. Right-click on HTC Dream Composite ADB Interface, and select Update Driver Software.

6. When Vista starts updating the driver, a prompt will ask how you want to search for the driver software. Select Browse my computer for driver software.

7. Click Browse and locate the USB driver folder. (The Google USB Driver is located in <sdk>\extras\google\usb_driver\.) As long as you specified the exact location of the installation package, you may leave Include subfolders checked or unchecked—it doesn't matter.

8. Click Next. Vista might prompt you to confirm the privilege elevation required for driver installation. Confirm it.

9. When Vista asks if you'd like to install the Google ADB Interface device, click Install to upgrade the driver.

Customer :

Ok. Once the SDK manager is finished, it should be easy to get the android usb located. (empahsis on "should" :-/

Jamie Lee :

theoretically

Jamie Lee :

:)

Jamie Lee :

let me know if its not finding it

Customer :

It is not finding it....

Jamie Lee :

try unplugging it and plugging it into another usb plug

Customer :

nope

Jamie Lee :

go to start and click on computer

Customer :

ok

Jamie Lee :

you should see your c drive and you cd rom ect...do you see anything new there

Customer :

no

Jamie Lee :

ok go to start ...right click computer and choose properties then click device manager

Jamie Lee :

do you see it there or any unknown or malfunctioning drivers

Jamie Lee :

also when you plug it in does the phone charge

Customer :

I don't see anything different

Customer :

Yes, the phone charges when I plug it in

Jamie Lee :

do this...take out the micro sd card and reinsert it

Jamie Lee :

see if it will connect now

Customer :

no luck

Jamie Lee :

lets try a different approach

Jamie Lee :

when this problem started...did you install an new program or device on either the phone or the computer

Jamie Lee :

and do you have another computer that we can use to test the phone with

Customer :

I don't have another computer. When I first got the phone, it connected fine and I could transport files (pix & music) back and forth. Then it just stopped working

Jamie Lee :

what is your computers make/model

Jamie Lee :

or model numbere

Jamie Lee :

maybe you need mass storage drivers

Jamie Lee :

btw after you installed your new drivers did you follow the instructions

Jamie Lee :

for the install

Jamie Lee :

to update the drivers

Jamie Lee :

and do you have the original usb cable that came with the phone

Customer :

It's an older computer.. Acer Aspire (AST 180-UA 381B) It came with 1GB, but I have installed more memory to increase to 3GB.

Customer :

After I installed the package, it just said "done" What other steps do I need to do?

Jamie Lee :

do you still have the cable that is made for the phone

Jamie Lee :

not all usb cables are the same

Jamie Lee :

the usb cable for the phone has the wires fused inside to allow for better charging ect

Jamie Lee :

also here are the instructions for after you have installed the drivers

Jamie Lee :
  • Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port.

• Right-click on Computer from your desktop or Windows Explorer, and select Manage.

• Select Device Manager in the left pane.

• Locate and expand ADB Interface in the right pane.

• Right-click on HTC Dream Composite ADB Interface, and select Update Driver Software.

• When Vista starts updating the driver, a prompt will ask how you want to search for the driver software. Select Browse my computer for driver software.

• Click Browse and locate the USB driver folder. (The Google USB Driver is located in <sdk>\extras\google\usb_driver\.) As long as you specified the exact location of the installation package, you may leave Include subfolders checked or unchecked—it doesn't matter.

• Click Next. Vista might prompt you to confirm the privilege elevation required for driver installation. Confirm it.

• When Vista asks if you'd like to install the Google ADB Interface device, click Install to upgrade the driver
  • Customer :

I don't see ADB Interface...

Jamie Lee :

if you go to start....devices and printers is it there

Jamie Lee :

also about adb interface...see here

Customer :

I don't have devices and printers on "start"

Jamie Lee :

sorry...go to start control panel...then devices and printers

Jamie Lee :

also what is your androids model #

Jamie Lee :

and make sure you are plugging the usb into the back of the computer too

Customer :

It's a droid 3. Model #XT862 Android version #2.3.4

Customer :

trust me... I have plugged this thing in every usb port available on the computer!! even bought a brand new cable from the Verizon store today!!

Jamie Lee :

then that rules out the cable

Jamie Lee :

and i assume the phone is on

Customer :

Yes ma'am...

Jamie Lee :

this problem is most likely with the computer....i have heard of this happening with new programs or updates to the computer

Jamie Lee :

let me first look for a mass storage driver

Jamie Lee :

just a sec

Jamie Lee :

what is your computers make and model

Jamie Lee :

i don't have it coming up for me on asus website

Customer :

In looking back at the skd manager, I found a file that matches my phone model that was not installed, I am installing that one...

Jamie Lee :

i need to get you some drivers

Jamie Lee :

awsome

Customer :

The computer is an Acer. It has Windows Vista

Jamie Lee :

good looking out

Jamie Lee :

i think its an acer aspire t180

Jamie Lee :

ok also go here and get your chipset drivers

Jamie Lee :

and the sata driver

Customer :

getting them now.

Jamie Lee :

:)

Customer :

They are zip files, what do I need to do to open them

Jamie Lee :

right click it...you should have an extract here optin

Jamie Lee :

if you don't let me know

Customer :

I got the chipset to install, but I can't get the sata to

Jamie Lee :

what does it say

Customer :

It just extracts it to a temp file

Jamie Lee :

thats ok

Jamie Lee :

lets try unplugging the phone and plugging it back in...you should hear a sound or be told that you plugged something in

Jamie Lee :

if you can

Jamie Lee :

if you can't tell let me know

Customer :

**sigh** nope

Jamie Lee :

it doesn't even make a sound that you have plugged it in

Customer :

Nope

Jamie Lee :

do this go to start...right click computer...then properties...then device manager...go to the usb category and expand it by clicking the +

Jamie Lee :

then on the category name right click and scan for hardware changes

Customer :

Okay, I am there

Jamie Lee :

did you scan for hardware changes

Jamie Lee :

did anything change

Customer :

It doesn't look like it

Jamie Lee :

ok do this ....right click and uninstall all of the usb root hub's one at a time...then right click on the category heading and scan for hardware changes

Customer :

There are 8 usb controllers: my printer, standard enhanced PCI to USB controller, standard openHCD USB host controller, usb composite device, usb mass storage, usb printing support, and 2 usb root hubs

Jamie Lee :

ok...unplug the printer

Jamie Lee :

tell me what changes...you may have to scan for hardware changes after unplugging the printer

Customer :

the computer says it is installing device driver software. Looks like the usb root hugs

Customer :

*hubs

Jamie Lee :

ok leave the printer unplugged untill we get done with everything

Jamie Lee :

after its all done then wake the phon up and plug it back into a back usb plug

Customer :

not recogizing the phone. should I have restarted the computer anywhere along the way?

Jamie Lee :

yea leave the phone plugged in and reboot.

Jamie Lee :

i think we need to check back with the sata driver that wouldn't install

Customer :

the stupid thing about all of this is that I have a little cheap mp3 player and an old phone (LG Chocolate) and BOTH of those devices are recognized immediately.... but the droid is NOT

Jamie Lee :

that has the mass storage controllers in it which is what i thnk we nee

Jamie Lee :

its definately driver related

Jamie Lee :

drivers can be painful

Customer :

okay... i have bookmarked you... be back soon

Jamie Lee :

i'll be here )

Jamie Lee :

any luck

Customer :

Nope. I'm sorry...

Jamie Lee :

alright ...give me a min to dig online

Customer :

I can't spend any more time on this problem tonight. I have a family to get fed... can we either take this up tomorrow, or maybe you can email me when we might try something else?

Jamie Lee :

sure thing...just come back here tomorrow or later tonight and post something and i will be alerted

Jamie Lee :

that will give me some time to research

Customer :

Okay. Thanx Jamie!! BTW... I'm Susie

Jamie Lee :

i had this problem before myself and it was cured with a usb mass storage controller driver

Jamie Lee :

see you later :)

Customer :

Good morning Jamie, I hope you had some luck...