bamurphy3
bamurphy3, Customer Service
Experience:  Knowledgeable about Smart phones, including Android and Apple, as well as other more basic cell phones and electronics
63551569

Thrive wont boot up. power comes on, initial screen

Customer Question

Thrive won't 'boot' up. power comes on, initial screen appears for a few seconds, vibrates and powers off (both with only battery and connected to power). Have removed battery (left out for about 5 minutes), and still continues this cycle of not getting past the first initial screen.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  bamurphy3 replied 2 years ago.

bamurphy3 :

Perhaps a different battery would do the trick, you list that you have tried a hard reset, correct?

Customer :

I believe so, according to the instructions I've read in other forums. I've held down the volume up and power buttons. A screen came up and told me that the OS would come up in 10 seconds if I didn't make a choice. Well, 3 minutes later, nothing came up. So, I selected the little Android thing and pressed power. It started to boot up, but then continued to do the same thing. It powers on, stays on the "Toshiba Innovations" "home page" for a few seconds (normally, after this, the second screen would appear to show it's booting up. But, after a few seconds, it automatically powers down and resets back to that initial TI screen. Then, shuts down, and comes back on - it's a cycle that doesn't stop.

Customer :

It does the same exact thing when it's plugged in, too, so the battery may not be the problem (to my very limited understanding of how things work) :-)...

bamurphy3 :

From that screen, you need to make a choice, which is wipe/factory data reset. You should highlight this with the volume keys then select it with the power key

Expert:  bamurphy3 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, not a problem - I would be happy with factory reset.

Which of the three icons will do that? I've tried all three that appear. The first one looks like the USB symbol, which did nothing when I selected it. The second is a file folder symbol (which also did nothing when I selected it) and the third is the Android symbol, which, as you guessed, I'm sure - did nothing when I selected it.

Is there another way?

Expert:  bamurphy3 replied 2 years ago.
Did you make sure the particular symbol was highlighted when you pushed the power button? Try pressing the he icon when each of those options is highlighted
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep, sure did... Moved the volume up and down to highlight each selection. Tried all three - same thing - reboot, shut off, reboot, shut off...
Expert:  bamurphy3 replied 2 years ago.

This is the cure all for anything related to the device. Your next step is to proceed with your warranty coverage either through Toshiba or through the store you purchased it from. If it was Best Buy check out their black tie protection plan