Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

My droid will not let me type but only a few letters and then

Customer Question

My droid will not let me type but only a few letters and then freezes.. both on texting and in email.. it is driving me crazy.. Please help
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 3 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

No problem, just follow these steps and it will be working again Wink.

1. Go to your Settings by either opening the Settings app, or going to your home screen > pressing the menu button on the phone > choose settings.
  2. Choose Applications
  3. Choose Manage Applications
  4. Tap on the 'All' tab at the top
  5. Locate and tap on the Android Keyboard app (or Swype if you use Swype)
  6. Tap on the Clear Data button
  7. Pull the battery from the phone and then replace it and reboot it

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Please press the Accept Button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time Assisting you!

Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Positive Feedback & Bonuses are not necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!! Visit HelpWithAndroid.com and bookmark the page so you can get me directly with any questions in the future.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THanks but I don't see the android key board app.. .could it be called something else

Are you using the same keyboard that came with the phone or did you install a new one, also many Androids come with Swype so if you use that, look for it.

Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

Basically, look for ANY app with the name "keyboard" in it, and make sure you are on the "all" apps tab.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope didn't work.. I can type to a certain point.. and then it hangs.. infact.. I just typed a text and it disapeared

Ok, then we need to see if its the keyboard or a more serious underlying issue with the Kernel of the Android OS which is far more rare but could be the issue.

Please download "GO Keyboard" from the Market (its free). Install it and follow the setup instructions to use it as your keyboard. Then tell me if you have the same issue when using the GO Keyboard.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I downloaded it.. and it is installed.. but it didn't ask me any questions.. should I open it... sorry.. I am so not tech savvy with this Android.. BTW.. it is the 1st generation one

I just tried to text again.. and it stalled and wouldn't let me type anymore.. it just locks up.. and I can even go back.. mostly what I have to do is touch the on /off button on the top of my phone

Ok, then I was afraid of it, as I mentioned before... you most likely have some corrupt data in the kernel and we can only resolve that with a reset.

As long as you have a Google account synced to your device, your contacts, calendar, etc. will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial setup again as long as you sign in with the same Google/Gmail account.

I do recommend you go to gmail.com on your computer and click on the contacts link, then check all your contact groups to make sure the contacts are synced(if not, ask me about contact backup instructions).

Any apps you have, you can also get back by opening the Market, pressing Menu on the phone and choosing "My Apps".

As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card(images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phones internal memory is formatted.

To complete a Factory Reset follow these directions:

1. Go to your Home Screen
  2. Press the Menu button
  3. Choose Settings
  4. Choose Privacy
  5. Choose Factory Data Reset

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK...hey I think it is working now..cause I am now typing on it...thx

Are you using the new Keyboard or the old one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure...maybe the new one cause a brown bar comes up at the bottom for swipe

OK, then the problem was the old keyboard. You can continue to use the new one or you can reset the phone and use the original one thats restored after reset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THank you for your help

No problem.

Also, I thought I had told you this prior but I guess i didn't. You can switch to different keyboards that you have installed by pressing your finger in a text box that you would normally tap to write in until a menu pops up. You then choose "input method" and thats how you switch between keyboards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK..thanks for your help

No problem, have a great night!

If you ever need anything again you can get me directly at helpwithandroid.com