Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

I am unable to receive text messages, but I can send them.

Customer Question

Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Ok, no problem. Which make and model phone is it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Droid Incredible (original)

No problem, I actually use one of them as my daily phone as well.

Here's what we need to do, and it should resolve the issue right away. if it doesn't, we can try other troubleshooting but this should do it.

1. Go to your Settings by either opening the Settings app, or going to your home screen > pressing the menu button on the phone > choose settings.
  2. Choose Applications
  3. Choose Manage Applications
  4. Tap on the 'All' tab at the top
  5. Locate and tap on the 'Messager' app (or whatever SMS/MMS app you use, Handcent, GO SMS, etc)
  6. Tap on the Clear Data button
  7. Pull the battery from the phone and then replace it and reboot it

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Please press the Accept Button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time Assisting you!

Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Positive Feedback & Bonuses are not necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!! Visit HelpWithAndroid.com and bookmark the page so you can get me directly with any questions in the future.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done as you said. I just had someone send me a text and I still have not received it.

Ok, lets try something else to see if we can narrow down whats wrong. Now that you have done that, there is only a couple things that can be wrong.

Go to the Market and install "GO SMS Pro". Its free, and a much more powerful SMS/MMS app than the one you are using. During install, just press Next or OK and do not change the default settings, you can always uninstall the app later.

After you get it running, send a text message to someone and ask them to reply. Let me know if that works or not.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I downloaded the program and sent an email. The other person got it, but I have not yet received her reply which was sent a few minutes ago.

Ok, then the issue isn't with any data stuck in your messaging system.

There is only one thing left we can try, and if it doesn't work then the issue lies on Verizons servers, and not on your phone.

We can try a complete reset of the device. You can backup text messages if you need to, with the app you just installed. As long as you have a Google account synced to your device, your contacts, calendar, etc. will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial setup again as long as you sign in with the same Google/Gmail account. I do recommend you go to gmail.com on your computer and click on the contacts link, then check all your contact groups to make sure the contacts are synced(if not, ask me about contact backup instructions). Any apps you have, you can also get back by opening the Market, pressing Menu on the phone and choosing "My Apps".

As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card(images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phones internal memory is formatted.

To complete a Factory Reset follow these directions:

1. Remove the battery.
  2. Replace the battery but do not power the device on.
  3. Hold down the Volume Down button then press the Power button. Hold the Power button for 2 seconds and release it without releasing the Volume Down button.
  4. Your phone will boot into hboot mode.
  5. Follow the instructions on screen to navigate through the options.
  6. Choose "Clear Storage" (sometimes named 'Wipe Data / Factory Reset')
  7. Confirm your choice and wait for the device to do the rest of the work.
  8. When the device reboots, follow the on screen instructions to setup your new device.

After you reset the phone, and you have it setup again, if the text messages still aren't coming in then the issue is on Verizons network itself and you will need to go into a store and show them you reset the phone and your account needs to be checked.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will there be a problem upgrading to 2.3 once I do this? I have read this is a problem while searching for answers to my problem.

Have you already received the 2.3 update?

If you have, the phone will stay at 2.3 and wont revert back. If you haven't, it will in no way effect you getting the update.

It returns the phone to a brand new condition, but does NOT stop you from getting the update.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I will reboot. How do I confirm my choice?

It will tell you on the screen which buttons to use to navigate and select options in the menu. I think yoru version is volume down to navigate and power to select, and then it will tell you to press volume up to confirm. Just be careful to read everything on the screen and use what buttons it tells you to.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks... I found it after I emailed you.

Ok great, keep me posted on how it goes for you Wink.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have it back up, but am waiting for a text message. I am still not getting text messages. It has been about 10 minutes since it was sent.

If you are still not receiving text messages after that, then you now have proof its not the phone but the carrier. You need to take the phone into a Verizon store and go ahead and reset it right in front of them if they want, and that way they can see there is something wrong with your account and they can have their tech department check your account.

Sorry, but the good news is the phone is not broken.

Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Eric for walking me through this.

No problem, I wish it was easier and we could have resolved it but we literally tried everything.

Good luck at the Verizon store!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am happy with your help, but I sill need to go to Verizon to resolve my problem.

Have a great day!