Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

My Samsung Galaxy S has stopped connecting to wi-fi. It appears

Customer Question

My Samsung Galaxy S has stopped connecting to wi-fi. It appears to have "lost" its MAC address.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Ok, lets take this step by step and it should resolve it.

1. Open your Wifi Settings on the Galaxy
  2. long press your finger on your wifi network in the list until a menu pops up, choose "forget".
  3. Turn OFF wifi on your phone
  4. Unplug your wireless router
  5. Turn ON wifi on your phone and let it search for networks, not finding yours.
  6. Turn wifi back off on the phone
  7. Plug the router back in and wait for it to boot up
  8. Turn wifi back on, on your phone and allow it to find your network and then connect to it again.

That should resolve the issue Wink.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. If not and I have helped you today Please press the Accept Button so I am credited for my time Assisting you! Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Positive Feedback & Bonuses are not necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!!

Click here and BOOKMARK the page to get me directly with ANY questions in the future! HelpWithAndroid.com

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This has not solved the problem. When I switch on wi-fi on the phone, it scans for networks but then gives a message that it cannot scan for networks and turns wi-fi off. As I said, it does not appear to have a MAC address. It cannot find any network, let alone mine.

OK, lets check and see if its actually gone.

• click on the Home button at the bottom of the phone to go to the Home screen.
  • Click Menu
  • Click Settings
  • Click About Phone
  • Click Status
  • Scroll down to see your MAC address.
  •  

Let me know if you have one, of if its all zeros... all zeros is a much more serious issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    MAC address is "Unavailable"

Thats actually fine. It should say unavailable, its just all zeros that could indicate a hardware problem.

We can try two things

First try this:

1. Go to your Settings.
    2. Choose Applications
    3. Choose Manage Applications
    4. Tap on the 'All' tab at the top
    5. Locate and tap on the network locations app
    6. Tap on the Clear Data button
    7. Pull the battery from the phone and then replace it and reboot it

Now try and connect to wifi again.

If that doesn't work, then the last real way to resolve this, is to do a factory reset on the phone. Whatever system files are corrupted, causing your wifi to fail, will be replaced in a factory reset.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    Re-booting. Get back to you in a few minutes.
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    MAC address still "unavailable" so it looks like a factory re-set. How do I do that?
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    Found it and just done it. I hate to think what I have lost!

Thanks for your help.

Open your settings, choose Privacy, then choose wipe data / factory reset.

** Remember, this will wipe any data thats NOT on the SD card **

If this doesn't work, for any odd reason, then there is an issue with your radio physically, and you will more than likely need a replacement. Good news is that it shouldnt cost you anything at all.

Answers by Eric, Developer
    Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

As long as you have a Google account synced to your device, your contacts, calendar, etc. will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial setup again. As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card(images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phones internal memory is formatted.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    Thanks. Done it. Will have to restore apps.

Open the Market app, press the menu button on your phone and tap on "my apps"... that way you can easily install the apps you had before.

Glad it worked!!