Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

My old Deere 6x4 Gator diesel shut off solenoid won't pull

Customer Question

Hi my old John Deere 6x4 Gator diesel shut off solenoid won't pull in,why ?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: thanks.
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes found that the gator wouldn't start until I removed the solenoid,then it would start but to stop I would have to push the solenoid back in.
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Vince O. replied 12 days ago.

H​ello, I'm not familiar with your gator but I ido have the JD shop manual and can send a link. It has dianostics and diagrams that should help. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ktnv55ka0vi4db/TM1518-Utility-Vehicle-Gator-4X2-4X6.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi thanks for the link to the diagnostics and diagrams, I did however already have the circuit diagram,I have found it difficult tracing the wires .
I think that the problem is the negative connection to the fuel solenoid and it may be a problem with the diodes. It is hard to trace in the solid state block.
Could the solenoid be hard wired to bypass everything with one connection to the ignition switch and the other to the timer relay and the negative to the battery.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 11 days ago.

I​ don't know for sure and should opt out.. Download the manual, it's yours