Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Farmtrac 5045 won't go into gear coward or reverse, 30300t,

Customer Question

Farmtrac 5045 won't go into gear coward or reverse
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 30300t
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Working in a field it just wouldn't engage for reverse to foreard
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to help. Was this during operation this happened or after shutdown? Check the oil level and condition and for any signs of metal in the oil. screen/filter. If okay check all fuses and relays as well as for power in and out of the shift controller to the transmission solenoids. Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
During operation I am currently not at the equipment to check any fluid levels
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

We can post back and forth as needed. I help in between jobs as time allows. No rush

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Found no problems with relays or fluids
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the update. Any fault or warning indicators? Did you test all your fuses with a test light or volt meter for power on both sides with ignition switch on? Also for voltage out of the shifter in each gear position? Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don't think the transmission has any power shift just the forward and reverse handle
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

My apologies, You have a mechanical lever and not an electrical shift lever with the speeds?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that's correct
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

So this is a straight 5045 with no letter like E or D at the end of the model?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Bare with me while I see what I have for troubleshooting . How does the clutch pedal feel?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ft3030dtc
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Feels ok
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Was that supposed to be 545 and not 5045? My manuals has a 545 model and I see there is a 3030dt but im not seeing that manual in my archives. let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It had 5055 on the tractor but no in model number
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I am confused to what actual tractor you have there. Check the linkage is engaging from the shift levers fully in all speeds. If okay verify the clutch is engaging and disengaging and is in proper adjustment. If okay you would be then looking at an internal transmission issue. Did you hear any noises etc when this happened indicating something may have broke?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any other controls I can check if I rock the tractor and move the forward and reverse handle it feels like it engages could it be the rear diff four wheel drive or high low gear
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

It is very possible but I need to know 100% what tractor you have and options so I can be sure to give the correct info for your tractor. You drained the oils to look for metal already?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Draining oil last resort sending picture of model
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

There should be another tag on the tractor . That is the ROPS tag.... I see the model is 3030dt... Let me see if I can pull up a manual.... Im not sure I have that model in my manuals....Ill check

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is another tag
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I have 545 and 55 manuals but not this one... Ill opt out in case another expert can better help beyond what Ive already suggested.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Let me ask a few questions, from what I see ,this is a mechanical transmission with a standard clutch. You say it will not go into gear? With engine off , will it shift? With engine running do the gears grind if you try to force it? How did it quit, under use, or working ok, then would not go into gear? Front end loader being used?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Was using front end loader everything worked fine backed up tried to go forward would not move

All mechanical transmission, no grinding if you force it? Brakes not locked? Does engine pull down, or just can't get it in gear?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Feels like it goes in gear forward and reverse but won't move

Does engine load up? If not sounds like the clutch has failed, do you have free play at the top of the clutch travel?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yea free play at the top
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anyway to check it and confirm

Only if you can get a look through the bell housing, or remove the transmission shift cover, to see if the input shaft is moving. If is not turning, clutch has failed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The input shaft you talking about the shaft going down from forward and reverse handle I removed the cover and it is turning when lever is moved

No, the transmission input shaft that the clutch drives down the center of the transmission.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not yet have not tried anything like taking it apart yet