John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

Deere 4010 Pto quit working on540 but works on 1000. At the

John Deere 4010 Pto quit working on540 but works on 1000. At the back of the PTO stub there has been some welding on the stub to increase the movement of the little rod to engage the 540 but it mustn't be moving it far enough to engage it now. What are the options?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Hope you are right
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I guess we will have to converse with one another

good morning Bob my name is ***** ***** the 540 shaft spin at all?

and we are talking about a compact utility right?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no it is an older agricultural tractor

ah ok glad i checked. so the 540 speed is completely dead?

the issue is for sure internal. i would start by draining the oil and removing the six bolts holding the back quill assembly on. that way you can get a light up in there and see what is or is not moving. i have found a few that shelled out the needle bearings and let the gears drop out of place.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Are we still talking compact utility tractors or old '60's agricultural tractors?

older..... i dont know as much about the compacts

sorry the 6 bolts were the 4020's

same idea, get that rear cover off so you can see up inside there

when you remove the stub shaft is the center pin pushed out? or stuck in

im sure you know this but when you install the 540 shaft the pin pushes in to shift the collar onto the 540 gear vs the 1000 shaft allowing the pin to move rearward and releasing the collar. so im wondering if your pin is broke or stuck. or... the collar that slides over the 540 has stripped out

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The pin moves in and out but apparently it isn't moving far enough ahead to make engagement. It has given trouble before and a little bit of weld on the stub shaft moved the pin further ahead but now it is disengaged again. There is no grinding , it is just not engaging.

well.... there is only so far you can move that pin. I think in your case its time to remove the rockshaft housing and have a look down in there to see if there is anything left of that shift collar

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Will I be able to see the shift collar and would the tractor have to be split to replace it?

yes you can see a good majority of it from there and yes it would be a double split

power shift or syncro smash transmission?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
syncs mesh transmission. why the double split?

1st split is clutch to engine housing

second is clutch housing to trans, that is where you need to be. if your patient and have a good solid surface you can do it in a single split

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do I have to drain the oil to remove the rock shaft housing and how to I go about it?

do not have to drain oil to remove rockshaft. disconnect linkages and remove bolts. lift off with a picker

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi John I think I am sleeping. I imagine you are calling the rock shaft for a three point hitch This tractor never had a three point hitch or am I miss naming something.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is there any other way to see the shift collar other than through the rock shaft housing?

the rockshaft housing would be the assembly under the seat. you can try to remove the components from the pto housing in the rear of the tractor but i dont think you are going to see all that needs to be viewed. either way that rear section will need to come apart so start there