Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Deere x520 Garden Tractor. Differential lock is not engaging

Customer Question

John Deere x520 Garden Tractor. Differential lock is not engaging (so therefore a spinning wheel will stay spinning, without engaging the opposite wheel).The engagement system (rods etc) are fine all the way back to the transmission from the foot pedal on the deck, so I suspect an issue within the transmission.I have tried keeping the diff pedal pressed down while wheel is spinning, and also when wheel is not spinning. Regardless it does not engage.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

10 through 18 is the differential lock. Is the shaft # 13 moving with the engagement lever? Try moving the shaft at the transmission.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can move the shaft with a pipe wrench, but it won't move when pressing the pedal on the deck. This seems odd as all linkages are fine, and the spring looks whole. However when I press the pedal, the linkages push the spring , but the spring doesn't push the shaft to rotate. Do you have the diagram of that linkage system?

The shaft should be easier to push/pull, try soaking it in WD40/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried soaking it quite a few times (multiple sprays of WD40 over time). Could the spring (#8) lose its compressive strength? Any other thoughts? I thought it was odd that I can rotate it with a wrench, but no movement when pressing the actuating system (although as I said, I can see the rod pressing the spring well enough), so it does basically seem "tight" into the transmission.

Yes, it has to be looser, or the spring will not move it. If you can't get it free, the next would be to remove the transaxle and disassemble!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Curtis. By the way, it's not that hard to rotate with a wrench, but on the other hand it's not super easy. Would you suggest perhaps I try taking the linkage system off the shaft? That might help spray get into the area better? Any tips on where to get disassembly instructions?

Why not eliminate the spring and try it with a solid link?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good idea on the solid link, I can try rigging something up. Also I am trying to find the part numbers on the JD site. I found the first diagram you shared, but haven't yet found the second (pondering just ordering a new spring just in case).

8- M117024 Compression Spring

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks again - still no joy overall getting things moving well. Are you able to point me to a service manual so that I can safely disassemble as much as may be required? I assume I'd have to purchase one unless there's an online reference I haven't found.

No online manual, but Ebay, paper or CD.

I see question is still open, please rate to close.