John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I have a Deere 2040 that is pouring power steering oil from

I have a John Deere 2040 that is pouring power steering oil from under the steering wheel. When turning the steering wheel it moves up and down about3/8 to 1/2 inch with the shaft. I am not sure a seal kit will be all that is needed for this repair. I would like to replace the steering column with another one and am wondering about the procedure to R&R the column for replacement.

good afternoon Don my name is ***** ***** you looking to rebuild or just replace?

either way.... the procedure for removal is pretty simple. need to remove the 6 bolt cover on the side of the bell housing to access the pitman arm pin. remove pin and unbolt the assembly

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

I would like to repair, but when I turn the wheel, the steering wheel and shaft goes up and down somewhat, so I think that there is a mechanical internal problem. So I am thinking a replacement column would be the best. Are you familiar with the internals and what would cause the steering wheel to go up and down when turning(and leaking).

good morning Don. yes inside the assembly there are components that can crack and break that will cause this issue. I couldnt see as where you can buy a new one from Deere being that old but there avalable threw salvage yards. yours is rebuildable if you have a deere dealer around you that you trust. What area are you from?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Central Texas, I see where I can purchase a New steering column for maybe 750 or less. Is there any trick for getting the steering wheel off without damaging anything? They seem to get tight sometimes.

there should be 2 threaded holes in the wheel so that you can use a small puller to remove the wheel. if you can get your hands on one for $750 thats a good price!

good morning Don. Just checking in to see if i can be of any more help or can we close out the case?

thanks