catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years on CAT equipment and Track Type Challenger Tractors
11546476

I have a 2005 cat 906 wheel loader, its making a noise under

Customer Question

i have a 2005 cat 906 wheel loader, its making a noise under cab that sounds like a u joint noise . check the joints and are OK well greased. it seems to make the noise while decelerating. removed the rear part of the shaft to check the play in the drive shaft spline very little to nun . the front axle seems to have a lot of play when Turing left and right. and the e brake rota has a little play on the spline. what do you think ?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 16 days ago.

Has anything been done recently to this machine? (Repairs, Services,Damage?)

Do you hear the noise driving straight or only when turning?

Did the noise begin suddenly or increase over time?

Do you know if either axle has a differential lock or limited slip unit?

Please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
cat00906cmer01320 I just bought it. it has 2,220 hours on it. it looks to be in great shape.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it seems to make the noise going straight only not turning. it seems to make it a lower speed as well as decelerating! it might be normal I am not shore.
Expert:  catmastertech replied 14 days ago.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I am sorry I couldn't respond earlier. I work in the field during the day and answer questions here at night.

I don't have many of these machines in my area so, I can't say for certain your noise if normal. I do know they have a roar that is different if you are comparing it to a standard drive system.

Since you just got this machine, I would recommend you perform a full service on all the fluids. The manual shows they should be changed every 1000 hours. I would look closest to the Transfer Drive (Hydrostatic) Oil attached to the rear axle. This is a separate compartment and has two plugs on the right side. The bottom one is a drain and the one above it is the level plug. The oil should be level with the threads.

Your machine should have an Owners and Operators manual in the seat back pocket. (OSHA requirement) and this includes all the details for Preventive Maintenance, refill capacities and specific service hour intervals.

If you do not have the OOM manual, I highly recommend you purchase one. It also includes operating tips and identification of all controls.

You can even order it online from www.cattechmanuals.com

Search for:

SEBU7415
Language: English
Title: SEBU7415-04 902, 906 and 908 Compact Wheel Loaders - Operation & Maintenance Manual
Serial Number: 6ZS1-Up,MER1-Up,7ES1-Up,8BS1-Up,TAR1-Up
Version: 04

$ 46.33

If you need more help with this, please let me know. I will be glad to help all I can.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it was completely serviced when I bought it ! I guess I need to talk to some one that is familiar with a 906
Expert:  catmastertech replied 13 days ago.
Ok, I will OPT-OUT.
I still would want to know for certain the oil levels are correct and no contamination of the compartments exists.
If you can, take a video of the machine making the noise from inside and outside to demonstrate when and how the noise is generated.
You can post it to YouTube and paste a link here for us to see.