Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I HAVE A 1949 FORD DIESEL TRACTOR THAT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1949 FORD DIESEL TRACTOR THAT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A WHILE . IT WILL FIRE WITH STARING FLUID BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE PUMPING THE FUEL FROM THE FUEL PUM P TO MOTOR
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: MY 1949 FORD DEISAL HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A WHILE . I REPLACED THE FUEL AND FILTER BUT IT DOES NOT WANT TO PUMP THE FUEL .IT GETS TO THE PRIMER AND THATS AS FAR AS IT GETS
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: THATS ALL
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok , you need any more information?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

Would you have model number? The injection pump has a kill cable or control, that is used to kill the engine. If it was pulled and left in that position, it is now stuck in the no fuel position. Depending on the type of injection pump you have, the cover may be removed on the injection pump, to see if this linkage can be freed up.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

You say you have fuel to the primer? Nothing after primer? Have you removed the primer and checked the internal screen?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
i am not familiar with diesel so i didnt want to take anything apart before talking to some one
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have bad phone signal ,i live in the country , if you could do your best i would appreciate it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

If I had a tractor model number, maybe I could pull up some parts assembly's, but Ford used few diesel in 1949.?? But the typical primer pump on older units will have a screen mesh filter, that can be accessed by disassembling the primer.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

We don't need call, we can continue here.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

All the older 8N, 9N, 2NN, all were gas. Only in the 60's did the diesel become popular.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thanks ,let me check that out . i will need a few minutes . maybe it is a newer model,that is what i was told.i will get right back to you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i couldnt find the model # ,but i took what i feel is the pump off and disassembled it it has a fabric type diafram . it has a hole in it.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
also this part was made in england,.i
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

Well we know why the prier does not work! Is there any numbers on the primer pump? Any pictures of the tractor or engine?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I ran out of time today , I work self employed had to get a few other things
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

OK> I'm retired and work from home, I will be here.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you find a model or pictures?