Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Kubota M59 with a hydraulic problem; It was fine when I

Customer Question

Kubota M59 with a hydraulic problem; It was fine when I received it, it was shipped to Colorado from Texas. I had all the fluids and filters changed in Texas. It was fine when I got it, I used all the functions , Loader, Backhoe, Thumb. All was well. It sat for about 2 or 3 weeks and when I went to use the backhoe I couldn't get the backhoe to move towards the tractor in order to release the shipping lock. I wiggled the hoe left and right to jiggle the locking arm loose. When the lock was released the backhoe drooped until it hit the ground. The local Kubota dealer first thought the problem was air in the system and I needed to force the air out by extending the arm fully and the air should leave. After messing with this idea nothing really happened. the problem seems to be with the boom cylinder, and they have ordered a kit to rebuild the cylinder. Is there anything else I can try before I disassemble it? HELP!!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, Thanks
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

I fyou put air in one end of the cylinder, does it come out the other? Try it both ways. It is possible the piston has come off the rod, so it leaks in one direction only.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK Curtis, I will disconnect the incoming cylinder connections and try the air test. Won't it be really messy? Shooting oil all over?
I have the boom extended as far as possible. The local mechanic said this was the right thing to do before disconnecting the cylinder. Anything else just now?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

Yes, it can be. and you can do test with the hydraulic lines. Just determine which line is pressure in the fully extended position, and remove the opposite hose, then pressure the cylinder and see if cylinder pours out the open hole.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you find cylinder to be bad? Please rate to close and get me credit!