Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Ford Jubilee tractor, converted to 12 volt Initially after

Customer Question

Ford Jubilee tractor, converted to 12 voltInitially after conversion to 12 volt system the tractor started fine and shut off with key.
After changing the mounting bracket that hold the battery, when I went to connect the battery cables, the tractor began to turn over. I thought perhaps the starter button was shorting out so I disconnected the starter button wire where it connects to starter solenoid, but had the same result when I began to connect the battery cables.
Any idea what I am missing or what is causing this?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 26 days ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 26 days ago.

On conversion, was the battery changed to negative ground or posiitve ground? On original tractor, the negative side of the starter circuit was completed through the ground , not the positive .

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
changed to negative ground, have 12 volt coil with internal resistor, using one wire alternator.
I had started it several times after initial conversion to 12 volt and then decided to change the battery holder (compartment) and after that is when I put the battery in and the tractor begins to turn over as soon as I touch the 2nd battery cable to the battery.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Also, the negative ground cable is bolted into the frame on one of the battery box mounting bolts as it was with the old battery box before I changed it... really having a hard time thinking the change of box has anything to do with it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 26 days ago.

You still using the floor mounted starter switch? Check it for being engaged. Or the wirescablesv to it touching.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I will double check it, and I thought perhaps it could be the problem, however I disconnected the wire that runs from that starter button to the starter solenoid and I still have the same issue. If the starter button was the problem I should not have had the same result when connecting the battery cables after disconnected the wire from button that goes to solenoid.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 26 days ago.

Has to be power from battery going to the starter, when you try to install the cable! Seems to be easy enough to trace. two cables.??

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?