Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

My Deere 7610 (Diesel) transmission will not engage into any

Customer Question

My John Deere 7610 (Diesel) transmission will not engage into any position (1, 2, 3 or 4) from the neutral position. I viewed for breakage and hydraulic leaks but found none.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Thank you.
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time, thank you.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 25 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

I need a little bit more information to help me narrow down the correct diagnostic path to take. If you wouldn't mind getting back to me with answers to the following I would greatly appreciate it.

Did the tractor exhibit any odd operating characteristics leading up to this fault?

Can you hear the tractor shift when you shift from 1st through 4th gear?

Have you at any time noticed any warning lamps on the dash?

Has the tractor had any major transmission repair work done recently?

Let me know you have time.

Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
1, There were no odd operating characteristics.
2. The gear shift lever is loose in the neutral position, as if something came disconnected, and will not engaged in any of the 4 gears.
3, No warning lights on dash came on.
4, No minor nor major transmission work done recently.
Expert:  Kevin replied 24 days ago.

Thank you for the reply.

So based on the additional information you provided it sounds like you may have a sheared roll pin in the forward/reverse linkage. If you look at the bottom of your transmission you will see where the forward/reverse shift linkage connects to a rod that goes in from the right side of the trans and out the left. The arm on the left side is known to have the roll pin shear causing the lever to almost flop from forward to reverse with very little resistance. If the linkage is moving on both sides then we may need to look inside the transmission. The bottom of the powerquad transmission contains the shift valves for forward and reverse as well as the four speed shift portion. In some cases spring that applies pressure to the forward/reverse spool valve can break thus allowing the tractor to start with the lever not centered. If the forward/reverse lever is not centered then the engagement over ride valve will not allow clutch pressure for any kind of movement.

If the linkage looks good and you can see the forward/reverse linkage moving the input arm on the left side of the transmission let me know. Can find you a diagram that will better explain what to look for in terms of the internal valving portion.

Keep me posted,

Kevin