Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

HOW DO I INSTALL A STARTER SOLENOID IN A JD 265 TRACTOR? OK,

Customer Question

HOW DO I INSTALL A STARTER SOLENOID IN A JD 265 TRACTOR?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: OK
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: MYSELF.........TOOK THE OLD ONE OFF AND PUT NEW ONE ON, WHEN I RE CONNECT THE BATTERY IT TRIES TO STAR AND SOLENOID SMOKES???/
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

Did you have starter off, so you could get the fork on the solenoid around the Bendix shift collar? You have solenoid in bind, already making contact. Yo need to remove the starter, remove the solenoid, so you can get the solenoid in the correct place and the reassemble.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
DONT HAVE TO TAKE OFF STARTER TO INSTALL THE SOLENOID????
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

You never get the solenoid in the right position if you do not remove the starter! I can call if you like.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

see this all the time. Solenoid has to retract, to engage the starter gear, if it is on wrong side of the shift collar, the solenoid pushes against the contacts, so when cable is attached, engine starts cranking!

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
please call...thanks
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
please call thanks....
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

Says payment failed for call.??