Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I need to know how to check to see if my starter is the

Customer Question

I need to know how to check to see if my starter is the problem or the relay on a z225.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: I do not have it with me but it is about 8 years old.
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It would not start without charging the battery so I replaced the battery. When I went to start it the relay under the fuse block smoked.
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It was trying to start but would not and then it started to smoke.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

To test, follow the positive battery cable direct to the starter solenoid/relay. Then jump the battery terminal of the solenoid, to the small switch wire of the solenoid. If engine cranks over, relay and starter are good. If not, stater and relay are in question. So then jump the tow cable connections on the solenoid, to put battery direct to the starter. If starter does not turn engine, remove spark plugs and see if the engine will now spin. If there is liquid in the cylinders, starter will not have enough force to turn engine.