Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at Rhode Island Harvesting Co
96417199

I own a JD 4720 (2008) Compact Tractor. Since it was

Customer Question

I own a JD 4720 (2008) Compact Tractor. Since it was serviced (Oil and fuel filter) I receive a 2-16 Error Code 3-5 minutes after starting it. It revs fine, but has no power when placed under a load. The Dealer Reset the computer but to no avail. Thoughts?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Thanks
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The tractor only has 96 hours on it; so basically new
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Quick update - the Dealer said it was a "Data Processing Issue" but the computer reset didn't last more than 30 minutes.
Expert:  Bill McCusker replied 1 month ago.
If I had to take an educated guess I would assume that you are watery looking oil is due to gas usually what happens is in the carburetor with a needle and seat was stuck open causing the gas to flow into the intake and sit inside the combustion chamber or the piston area of the engine because gas is a very thin flowing substance it will bypass the rings and sit in the crankcase. I wouldn't have been surprised if when you went out to your unit it was low on gas or almost out of gas. Another way to verify that you have gas in your crankcase is take a metal spoon or Rod or something that you can get down into the oil get as much oil as you can on that metal piece take it out and light it with a lighter if there's gas it will instantly combust if there is no gas in there just oil will not