Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

We have a Kubota BX1500 that won't start. The battery seems

Customer Question

Hello. We have a Kubota BX1500 that won't start. The battery seems to be charged but upon turning the ignition key all we get is a clicking. Sometimes we don't even get the clicking. Since we do get some kind of response it suggest to me it is not afuse problem, but perhapsI am wrong about that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: BX1500D-54
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Serial # 60185 Thanks, Michael
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Never rule out the battery. Do you have a voltmeter to test it? Have you tried to jump battery or charge it? Do glow plugs lite up? And do you sometimes get a rapid clicking when key is turned to start? All signs of low voltage o the starter solenoid, from bad battery or cables!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

how old is the battery?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thans Curtis. We tried jumping it, and put a trickle charge on it overnight I think the battery is about five years old. The headlights do illuminate.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not tried a voltmeter.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Five year old battery, I would have it checked, and likley replaced, 5 years is beyond its life cycle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
voltmeter indicates full charge.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

What is battery voltmeter reading before trying start and when key is turned to start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Interesting, hadn't though to check that. Voltmeter initially at 12.8 volts, upon turning key it dropped, over a few seconds, to 12.1.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

?? Should have dropped to close to 8 or 9 volts, if the starter was energized. If it dropped to 12.1 without glow plugs or anything else, I still suspect battery.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Curtis. We can proceed with that information.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

OK> let me know.