Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a New Holland L85 farm tractor, with

Customer Question

I have a New Holland L85 farm tractor, with electro/hydraulic PTO engagement. The PTO on my tractor instantly engages when the switch is turned on, not gradual engagement as it is meant to. [The sudden wrench of the PTO has twisted the drive shaft of my mulcher, and also stalls the engine of the tractor] I have a repair manual for this tractor which shows a 'accumulator cylinder for gradual engagement of PTO' in the PTO section. I have disassembled the PTO unit, and removed the accumulator cap, piston and spring. The piston moves freely [but not loosely] in the cylinder. All appears to be okay. Once engaged the PTO works fine, it's the sudden engagement that is the problem. Hoping you may be able to advise on this problem,
yours sincerely,
Colin Pryor.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

6635 same as L85. I may not even be looking at the right parts, but you have to have probelm with the accumulator, which sole purpose is to let pto clutch engage slowly. There is small oil port, that has to put oil under the piston, and against spring pressure, the valve moves against the spring and this allows the pressure to increase to system pressure after the spring has fully collapsed. The orifice can be open, or the valve/spring may be installed wrong. Did pto ever engage slowly? Please no phone calls. I need to do more research before trying to get any deeper into the uit. See link below. Or attach picture from your service manual. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Curtis B for replying.
The pto on my L85 is not the same as the North American version - Naso . I have scanned pictures from my manual to my computer but I can't figure out how to attach them.
The tractor had 2200 hours on hr meter when I purchased it, and the pto has never engaged slowly since I have owned it

All accumulators work by using the oil cavity init to slow the movement of the clutch piston. Yours may loo different, but it works the same. If you apply aire pessure to the valve area is t slow to move or does it slam in. I'm thinking the orfice for the valve is plugged and it has no cavity for the oil to fill! To attach picture ,use the paper clip or tree icon above the tying bar and follow the instruction.