John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services

I have a jhon deere 6068hf485 diesel generator, but I have a

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** have a jhon deere 6068hf485 diesel generator, but I have a problem, 2 day ago the generator starts but runs only for 1 minute and stop running and I have red lights on: overspeed and overcrank, can you guys helpme?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 10 days ago.

good morning Roy my name is ***** ***** i can help you. when this fires up what is the tach reading? are there any trouble codes?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I dont have the way to see that, its a old generator and only has some lights to show the problems firsts show the warnning light and stop running and then turn on the overspeed light.

without knowing exactly what the system has an issue with i would direct my attention to the speed sensor that should be located in the flywheel housing. it reads speed from the starter ring gear. i would remove and inspect

when reinstalling, screw sensor down until it hits ring gear and then unscrew 1/2 to 1 turn

if you can supply me with the complete serial # and build # i can look up more info on this engine and how it was built

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
short the serial # is (###) ###-####
And the model is : jhon deere 6068hf485

complete serial please

in mean time check sensor

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It has another number is ***** generator model # DCA-180ssju and the serial #(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Maybe that works
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I found the block number:*pe6068L004798*

ok so this engine was born in 2006 and has an ECU. with that being said there will be a trouble code associated with this issue. possably you can dig up the operators manual online or something so that you can view the codes. if not you will need a deere service tech to plug into the engine ECU and diagnose. if the error is an over speed or over crank i would put my money on the speed sensor. i gave you bad info, now knowing what the exact engine is, this speed sensor is in the front of the engine reading speed off of the snout of the crank. sensor part # RE519144 and it should cost you about $32

if you remove the plug from that sensor and the plug is full of engine oil that is a dead give away that the sensor has failed

its possable that the gen set itself uses a speed sensor in the flywheel. by engine option code there is a spot for one but no sensor listed in the parts book saying it was shipped with a flywheel speed sender

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok everything has sence now thanks jhon for your help! We have some oil lik in fron of the engine.
Expert:  John Oliver replied 7 days ago.

hey Roy when you have a second could you rate the service so i can close out the case?