Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics

9500 combine can not adjust reel speed

Customer Question

9500 combine can not adjust reel speed
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

Ok so the most common cause of the reel speed failing to adjust is the control valve is stuck. Unlike all the other valves on the machine the reel valve is actuialy a mechanical valve that is turned by a small motor. The valve and motor are easy to find as they are located just to the rear of the electric clutch for the header drive on the left side of the combine. The control motor is a rectangular black box.

Ok so the first thing you will want to do is remove the black box that contains the motor. Simply loosen the nut on the aluminum clamp between the black box and the valve itself. With the clamp loos simply pick the black box up and turn it 90 degrees to get it out of the way. With the black box removed tighten the clamp bolt and use a pair of pliers to manually turn the valve. The valve should turn easy enough that you could turn the input shaft by hand while holding onto the clamp. If the valve is stiff simply spray penetrating oil around the base of the input shaft and work it back and forth until it frees up.

If you have the valve turning free but it still won't adjust with the controls in the cab the next step is to test for voltage at the black box. Using a volt meter check for voltage at the harness side of the connector while an assistant presses the speed up or slow down button. The controls provide a 12 volt signal to the black box so that the motor will turn the valve. When you change direction on the switch in the cab it simply switches polarity and the motor turns the opposite direction.

Let me know what you are seeing and I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.

Expert:  Kevin replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I just wanted to check in to see if you had met with success in getting you reel speed to adjust.

Please let me know if there is anything further I can do to assist you.