Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have a 1952 Farmall Super A and I need to know how the set

Customer Question

I have a 1952 Farmall Super A and I need to know how the set the timing for starting and operation. The distributer rotor shaft froze and sheared the pin on the gear that turns the rotor. I have a new rotor but the timing baffles me.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

Remove the # 1 spark plug, and have distributor installed with rotor turning. Spin engine with starter and when # 1 cylinder blows compression, see where the rotor position is and which direction it is moving. Do it a few times, so you get a good idea where # 1 cylinder on distributor is. Then wire the distributor cap , wih the # 1 position on rotor being the # 1 spark plug wire, then install the other three wires, using firing order and rotor rotation. This will get timing close enough to start, you then try to start engine, while moving distributor small amount to get timing close enough to crank.