Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My L180 hit a root on a willow tree and stopped the blade.

Customer Question

My L180 hit a root on a willow tree and stopped the blade. The engine will not start now. Any ideas?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

L180 Deere mower? Do you get any indication that the keyswitch has voltage? Do you hear the fuel solenoid click if you flip key on and off? No click from fuel solenoid, would be lack of voltage to the keyswitch, and could be a blown fuse in the ignition system.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mower ran fine until it got stuck on root. Now it tries to start and does not kick over.

Engine cranks, but does not start? Check the fuel solenid at the carburetor, to be sure it is attached and is getting 12 volts to it with the key on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not a mechanic. Does the Deere shut down when it hits a root and the blade can't move?

I should not, but it could blow a fuse. fuse will be behind the engine, near the starter.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I heard a pop sound and the engine went dead after the root problem.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I opened the hood. How do you know if it is a fuse? Are they like the ones in cars?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are the clip in kind or the vacuum tube kind of fuses?

Yes, flat fuse, just like in a car. See this link, fuse just to the left of the oil filler tube. link below.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Call me at(###) ###-####

Phone call is extra charge, not sure it's worth it. Did you locate the fuse?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is in the back yard. I can not see the fuse.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a flashlight. I am looking now.

We can continue tomorrow, if you like, there will be link in email to get back!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On my Deere there does not seem to be fuse anywhere. I looked at a picture that you sent to me but it not look like my engine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you have pictures of my engine with the fuses location?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
L180

You said L180.? LT180, LA180? what engine do you have? The picture I had was Briggs twin in a LA150

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
LT180 kawasaki 17.5 hp

LT180 does not show to use a fuse, it has a fusible link # 7 in the wiring harness near the starter. See link above, Did you determine if keyswitch has voltage? No voltage to key, then the fusible link may be blown.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can hear the engine cranking so it is getting power. Can you show me the fusable link in picture form? How can I tell if this is the problem? Remember the blade cut into root and stopped.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you go to a JD dealer for a fusable link replacement with instructions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there reset button on this engine?

If engine is cranking/spinning over the fuseible link is good. That leaves the fuel solenoid as possible problem, if it does not open, will keep fuel from cylinders. But with engine hitting root and stopping, it is possible that the timing key, between the flywheel and the crankshaft has sheared and has thrown the timing off. There is no (reset). But we can back up and remove spark plugs. and with spark plug grounded to the metal of the engine, crank and watch for spark. If it has spark, put a teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plugs and see if engine will start for a few seconds. If it does, the fuel is not going through the carburetor and the fuel solenoid is suspect.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need to see the actual picture of each of these items that you mentioned. The parking brake lever does not move up and down as I depress the brake either.

Did you try the fuel in the cylinder test? This will tell us much more about what needs to be done, that me trying to find pictures of unrevilant parts. I assume you can remove and re-install the spark plugs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can not find spark plugs.

See the OM manual above.Under service engine. above

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The engine runs now with the mower as well. The forward and reverse do not work when I release the brake. This happened when I got the engine running with the teaspoon of gas. Any ideas?

Ok, engine runs, deck runs, but transmission will not move tractor. There is a free whel release on the back side of the sat, on the lower hosing between the wheels, is it pushed in? had not been pulled to allow tractor to be rolled? Is the drive belt in place from engine to the transmission? You haven't has either of the rear wheels off?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was charged over 50. On my account for 2 phone call with you that we never had. Thank you for your service.

I am contractor working from home, I have zero to do with site trying to up sell you. My charge is what you have already seen, we can continue with no further charges if you like. I try to help as best I an, and like to know that customer gets their moneys worth, and I like to continue until customer has found problem. Only way I get paid for my portion is to get a positive rating from the customer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No more charges. The money has been withdrawn.
Thank you

Your charges are in your account, the account is not paid to the experts until they get a posiitve ratting. If you want your money back, contact customer service and ask for a full refund. as it has not been paid to me!