Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

Ihave 1995 7400 mfwd it has 7800hrs it has issues backing up

Customer Question

Kevin: Ihave 1995 7400 mfwd it has 7800hrs it has issues backing up in all reverse ranges imp dealer says reverse clutch pack is probaly out they want replace power quad with a rebuilt one for 10,000 is there any other solutions
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello Mark,

More and more dealers have gone to swapping out complete transmissions using Deere Remanufactured units. This is primarily because they make more money on the Reman units. In addition Reman products are backed by a Deere warranty that the dealer makes money on if the Reman product has any issues at all. If the dealer rebuilds the unit and it has a problem they will loose money if they have to go back in to fix the problem. This very thoroughly frustrates me as that same powerquad can be rebuilt for around $5,000 by a qualified tech.

Now more specifically on to your problem. If the dealer has performed element leak tests and has verified that there is a problem in the reverse clutch then there are not many options. If a leak test has not been performed then it should be. If the element pass a leak test then the problem may well be in the valve body on the bottom of the powerquad. It isn't all that uncommon for a spring to break in the valving and cause the modulation valve or forward/reverse valve to stick in one direction or the other. The valve assembly can be pulled off the bottom of the trans without much hassle. However the element leak test should be performed first to verify that there are no internal leaks.

Keep me posted if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Kevin

Now on to your