JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

Tractor does not start charge battery and makes ticking

Customer Question

tractor does not start charge battery and makes ticking noise do not if battery Is bad or starter old ford 3000 tractor around 1970
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: try to start llitte ticking charge battery 2 hrs more ticking on battery charger show charge didn't have voltmeter last week ran and started good
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: don't no how to tell how old I think in the 1960 or 70 ford 3000
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: change battery terminals it on a farm nothing around I have a feeling battery is not holding a charge when I try to start it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I just don't know if it is starter how I can tell what year or what starter I need does it have solenoid attached to starter or mounted on side somewhere
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  JON replied 23 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 23 days ago.

The clicking you are hearing is the starter solenoid. Since it is not spinning the starter, I would say the starter needs replaced as it is not engaging

Expert:  JON replied 23 days ago.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL