Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Have 100 series tractors I start lawn mower it makes popping

Customer Question

have 100 series tractors I start lawn mower it makes popping sound white smoke knocks
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Deere mower with single cylinder engine? Make of engine? Is the oil level too high?Does the oil feel thin and smell of gas? If so, you are sucking the oil/gas mixture into the combustion chamber and the oil is causing the knock and the white smoke.

Single cylinder Briggs engine. I see a new question, please respond to this one! Does engine run clean for just a short while and then starts to smoke?

Please respond to this question and not open new requests!

With no other problem, you can have a bad head gasket, letting oil be sucked into the combustion chamber between the block and the pushrod cavity. You would need to remove the head and replace the head gasket.