Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

Got a case 1070 tractor. It starts and runs fine but

Customer Question

Got a case 1070 tractor. It starts and runs fine but sometimes it hard getting it into gear and the power shift wasn't working properly didn’t get third gear. I changed the two hydraulic filters and then took apart cleaned the power shift control valves. The valves were a little bit dirty. I got everything moving freely. Know I re-installed the valve.
Know when I push the clutch in it won’t surge. Not getting any pressure to change gears. So I checked again the hydraulic filters and made sure they were installed properly. Still clutch wont surge.
My pto, power steering lift arms are all working fine. I don’t know what else to do. Do I have to prime clutch pedal or is there an air leak?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: how many questions can i ask to make sure i get my issue fixed.
JA: We have our lovely Black Belt Customer Support team available to help you 24/7.
In the US or Canada 1-***-***-**** Available 6am to 9pm PST
In the UK 0***-***-****
In Australia 1800-679-634
In New Zealand 0800-452-621
From anywhere else 1-***-***-****
Customer: how much will it cost
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: did get your page for the deposit
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. If you found fine metal debris it is an indication of pump or component internal failure. Have you tested or had the pressures tested to confirm if the pump is producing pressure or has failed or another internal leakage failure or problem in the transmission? Check and verify that and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i haven't tested the pump pressure. but it should be working fine I was working pretty good before I took apart the valve. Plus i don't have a pressure gauge. There is one seal for the clutch rod in the valve, if that was leaking would that be enough to stop it getting any pressure.Is it possible to be air locked? I don't think it would be the pump, all my other hydraulics work fine. I took some of the drain plug 1/8 square pipe out and hydraulic come out when tractor is running. To me it's getting some fluid and pressure.I just hope when i put it back together something went wrong.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I would retrace your steps for sure if the problem occurred right after the valve work done. Click on this link to view the parts breakdowns to help on parts ID in case something may be missing or as you suspected any damaged o rings. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Dan I took appart the valve again and everything seems fine and there. Just wondering can you tell me witch valve need to be functional for the clutch to surge. Because I installed it and it's trying to surge but there is something restrictions it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Whats your serial number? Theres an early serial number and later one for two options for manuals.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

1070) CASE AGRI-KING TRACTOR (S/N(###) ###-####& AFTER) (1/72-12/78)

(1070) CASE AGRI-KING TRACTOR (PRIOR TO S/N(###) ###-#### (1/69-12/78)

Then there is:

(JX1070N) TRACTOR (5/04-)

(JX1070C) TRACTOR (12/03-)

(JX1070U) TRACTOR (1/04-)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my serial number is(###) ###-####. its just a plain 1070 year 1985
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update and i hope you had a great weekend. Check the mechnical clutch adjustment and for slipping. If okay and the valves look okay I recommend getting some test gauges on it to monitor and check the pressures to help isolate this to a failed valve, excessive internal leakage, clutch or pump issue. Click this link to access the parts manual to help ID the components. Do you have a service book by chance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i got a service manual. I just found something out today that my spool assy number 41 in picture attachment. The steel ball was jammed and going to have to drill it out. I'm assuming that the ball bearing is supposed to flow freely inside the spool. I'm just not sure what the spool hole are there for and if that's really not the issue for not surging and just stopping me from shifting properly. They want 500$ for the spool can't order the ball separate. I can get another bearing ball 9/32 but before i do anything i want to make sure that the bearing ball is supposed to be stuck there or not.also when looking at the picture #10 to #14 when installed it doesn't move much because of #13 compresses against spool #10
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

does the service book show anything on the assembly of that spool and ball? I see # 47 is the same size but it is possible the ball is just plugging the port. There should be spring tension when assembled Be sure all check balls and seals are in tact, not beat up and the seats are not damaged. If all check okay and the spools are not scored/damaged, etc. I would reseal and then get some gauges on this and see what your actual pressures are.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I just finished installing a brand new control valve. Still having issues of it not surging. it seems to want to but just can't get there. I checked again installation of hydraulic filters and even tried it again with the old one's with no success.Sounds like there may be air in the lines? Is there a way to bleed the system or is that not possible. Also I put gauges on the pump and getting lots of pressure and all of the rest of the attachments work fine.what to do.