Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a deere 970..... recently, I cannot put the tractor

Customer Question

i have a john deere 970..... recently, I cannot put the tractor into gear (or take it out of gear) with the clutch pedal.... I can lean on the stick shift and let the friction nudge teh tractor into motion, and then speed-shift into gear when there's enough motion.... taking the tractor out of gear is not so easy either, it kind of acts like it's stuck and then I have to "pop" the stick shift out of gear when I sense it is at the right speed to do so. When the tractor engine is off, i can freely move between gears (without the clutch). Thoughts?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: serial number is ***** currently at my disposal, but it is a JD 970 33 hp, 2wd/4wd tractor (bucket and backhoe with a not-yet-used PTO).
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that should do it
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Here is link showing the clutch pedal and the only adjustment. Does the clutch feel like it is working? Do you have good pressure from the pressure plate when pedal is pressed?

The clutch has to stop the input shaft from turning, by releasing the clutch plate from the flywheel. Sounds like the clutch disc has separated and is now driving all the time.If that is the case, there is only one way to repair, and that is to split the tractor and repair the clutch.

I see question is still open, dd you find problem?