Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have a ford 1900 that we have a new injector for. The

Customer Question

I have a ford 1900 that we have a new injector for. The mechanic took the cover off the front where there is I a series of gear sprockets with an "X" on them to line up to make sure the injector is in time. Anyway the main gear (Crank?) should have 3 x's on so all the sprockets are in time. Mine only has 2 x's and don't see how to time injector. Talked to ford dealer and all manuals show that the main sprocket should have 3 x's. We ordered new main sprocket thinking we would get one with the 3 x's but when it came in it also only has 2. Any thoughts? Thanks Jerry Park
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

1900 has a key in the injector pump shaft, if you did not move any gears, the injection pump would need no timing ! It would just go back into the gear with the key locating it.? What has transpired? just

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

The key will let the shaft only mount in one place!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Has gear been removed or is it still in place? If it is still in place, the pump just needs to be installed with the key lined up! Then there is no timing mark needed!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am at the mechanics now and will show him your response. The gear from the pump was removed. I will be back in touch in few minuets
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Waiting on a call
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do we time injection pump when the injection pump gear was removed
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are us till there?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, I had company show up. Look at the link below and , has the gear # 9 been removed?Then the all the gears have to be aligned , then the hub # 8 and the gear reinstalled, then the injection pump slipped into the hub. The hub allows the pump to be advanced or retarded after install.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that gear was removed. That gear number 9 has an X on it the trouble is that the idler gear it matches with doesn't hav an X. It has a X which lines up with crank and another that lines up with cam but not one for injection pump. The manual showed this idler gear should have 3 one for crank one for cam and one for pump. We ordered new idler gear from ford and it came in also with only 2 x's
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Then you have to locate TDC on # 1 cylinder , compression cycle. Then line up the crankshaft and camshaft marks with the two X's, then with pump on the bench, turn the pump and watch the # 1 port , and watch for it to start injection, the fuel will start making a bubble in the fitting. This is the start of injection. move it back and forth until you get it as close to the start as you can, then the gear and hub aligned to match the pump key.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question still open, did you find a way to time the injection pump?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the mechanic used your info to solve the problem. Thank you for the help
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Please use the 5 star rating system to close the question and get me credit! Thanks!