Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

8650 hydraulic issue. Loss of pressure especially when at

Customer Question

8650 hydraulic issue. Loss of pressure especially when at operating temperature. If you wiggle the steering wheel rapidly pressure will increase. Have cleaned screen new filters and new charge pump.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hi Steve, my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check the oil and suction screen/filter for metal/debris that would flag an internal failure or pump problem occurring. Not sure what you found in them but I see you did a charge pump. Check the steering valve for excessive wear, pressure bypass, and the charge pump control valve for sticking damage or debris as well. Click this link for the online parts catalog to aide in parts identification. Let me know

JD parts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The main screen didn't have much in it. The screen in the clutch houseing had a small amount of debris but not enough to indicate a failure. Can the steering valve bypass oil. You mentioned pressure valve and charge pump valve. Where are they located on this old beast.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These old 4x4 tractors use a remote steering valve connected to a gear setup on the steering wheel. The valve sort of works like a relay really hard to get to.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

There is a screen in the steering valve as well. Click on the link I posted to access the parts diagrams. Also click below and see item 3. It is a screen. Check it to see if its plugged with debris.