Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My Deere 110 mower continues to suffer VERY stiff steering

Customer Question

My John Deere 110 mower continues to suffer VERY stiff steering and I can only make a10 degree turn. I replaced the steering system from the steering wheel to the arms which turn the wheels. No luck. I took it to three different repair shops (including John Deere). All the repair shops replaced the same parts that I did, billed me hundreds of dollars and returned the mower in the same condition. While you are at it, I would like a referral to a COMPITANT John Deere repair shop for my John deere 2653 and deere 4600 tractor. It seems that the lower the RPM on the 110 the stiffer the steering.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

# 5 is a thrust washer for the front spindles. From what I know, these washers do no good on the top of the spindle, they need to be between the spindle and the axle housing on the bottom. So they support the weight of the tractor on the spindles. If the front of the tractor is raised, does the steering turn easily? Or can one or both of the spindles be tight in the axle housing?