Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have run into a brick wall. I have a Ford that runs great,

Customer Question

I have run into a brick wall. I have a Ford that runs great, normally. It has a front distributor and a 4 speed trans. I will have to do some home work to tell you the year and I can't remember if it's a 8n and a 9n. I have several and this is the one I have committed to work. I haven't used it in a few weeks. It started and ran fine, until I got on it and started shredding. It will run 3 to 5 minutes and then sputters and dies. I changed the points, the coil, the gas and cleaned the bowl. no luck. I pulled the carb and cleaned it well. The last time I had trouble it was the carb and a tiny bit of crud. Still no luck. I'm thinking the voltage regulator. It still has the 6V system with a generator. The battery is new but no charge from setting up a while. I intended to charge it as I worked so I jumped it and it hasn't run long enough to charge up. It seems to be getting a charge when it's running. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
For some reason I was thinking you delt with tractors. Just in case I should tell you I'm working on an old ford tractor that I thought was a 51 model. After running the serial number I came up with a date that was older. When you talk to these old ranchers about equipment it gets foggy on details. " I think she's a 51 model or maybe a 49". If you need more accurate details I would be able to help you by providing them.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will need to leave for a while. I will check back in an hour or so to see if you have come up with some help. I have probably given you more info than you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Have you had the fuel bowl removed from the fuel tank? With these old tractors , they starve for fuel after running a short while, as the strainer on the fuel bowl, where it screws into the fuel tank is. This strainer is often overlooked. It is only found when the bowl is screwed from the tank, to empty the tank.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, did you see and heed my response?