Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have borrowed my neighbors Kubota Mini-excavator, and have

Customer Question

I have borrowed my neighbors Kubota Mini-excavator, and have used it for a few hours. At the end of the day yesterday I left the boom out-stretched resting on the ground and the back fill/dozer blade/stabilizer down in the position it was in when I stopped using it last evening. I removed the key and closed the window for overnight keeping. This morning the key will not go all of the way down into the ignition switch, and it seems to be all locked up. It does not make any sounds when the key is placed into the ignition switch, and the key will go about half way down into the switch, and it will turn as though it is functioning properly, however, nothing happens. There is no buzzer as there was before, and there is no power to the instrument panel, air conditioner, etc. And, of course it will not start. It is a KX 161-3. My neighbor is on vacation, and I don't want to bother him. HELP
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 3 months ago.

Does it look like someone messed with the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have given you all of the information I have. No has touched the machine since I stopped working last evening. The machine was functioning properly, and I turned the key to the off position and removed it, raised the safety lever on the left side of the seat, and exited the machine. That is all I have.

What is your battery voltage?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The first thing I did was place battery charger on the battery, and check the fluid in the battery. The battery checked out as fully charged.

The next thing I would do is check the switch can you pull the switch out and check to see if it is working properly check voltage make sure the switch is sending out voltage

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If you are not aware of a specific tendency for the Kubota KX 161-3 to lock up like this, I think I will have to have a Kubota technician come out to the farm to work on it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The key will not go all of the way down into the switch. I have lubricated the ignition switch with silicone, but the key still will not go down into the switch like it originally did when the machine was working properly.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your time, but I will have to have Kubota come to the farm.

You are welcome there is no tricks to get the key to go in if it does not go in the key switch is bad they are made of cheap plastic let me know if you need anymore help