Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Kubota 900 RTV 4x4 diesel came off of a trailer while moving

Customer Question

kubota 900 RTV 4x4 diesel came off of a trailer while moving now it won"t move in any gear pulled the shift fork housing everything is good,all shift linkage working properly started engine with shift housing off and put in gear manually while on jack stands wheels did not turn at all. saw a shaft inside trans turning but the gears had no movement I can roll the tire and the gears turn
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Last time I saw this, it broke the shaft inside the HST of the transmission,the output shaft attached to the HSt motor section. Only way to find it is the remove the hydro-stat!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
even though there is zero pressure at P1 & P2 of the HST pressure should be 3271-3840? Would zero pressure still allow the output shaft to turn? Would coming off a moving trailer hurt the valve?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

If no pressure at P1 and P2 , the output shaft should not be driven by the hydrostat! Output shaft is turning? Coming off trailer , drives the output shaft from the whee end and can snap any of the related shafts in the transmission. I figure you had it fixed by now!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not yet, I had to go out of town for work. Just now getting back.

OK> I don't see it being an easy fix, and the transmission is going to have to be out!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you think it would be better if we talked over the phone?

NO, I don't have any thing to add.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no problem pulling the transmission out, but where do I go from there? I'm a machinist and mechanic by trade but I have never worked on one of these transmissions. Just don't want to do unnecessary work, or spend money on unnecessary parts.

I would buy a service manual on the unit, which will cover the transmission, You can get get one on CD for less than $15. With the way Kubota makes the transmission and transaxle, it is invaluable. Here is link to one. below.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got a manual. I'll go ahead and pull the HST. I'll let you know what I find. Thank you for your help, I will be getting back with you.

OK> Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Started disassembly of the port block. I put the machine in gear and turned the shaft sticking out of the port block by hand. The rear tire rotated. The VHT pressure release valve seems to be stuck. Would this cause the problems of no movement in any gear?