Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have a JD 4020 and replaced the pump. It was making a real

Customer Question

I have a JD 4020 and replaced the pump. It was making a real rattle when unit is running, but quiet as soon as I used the hydraulics, steering loader etc. I went across the field, but now have very little pressure?? could this be the stroke valve failed?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 1 month ago.

good morning Terry my name is ***** ***** pump you replaced was it new or reman or aftermarket?

the noise is a little concerning because they should run quiet all the time. the valve could have failed but i dont think thats your issue. is this a P/S or syncro?

have you pulled the hydraulic filter and examined?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is just a straight shift, but the pump was a recycled one from another tractor. Initially it worked very well, moving the bucket and steering was great and fast. The noise was there, as long and there was no hydraulic demand. As soon as I moved the bucket, or turned the steering wheel, the noise would disappear. When there was no demand, the noise came back, but it did seem to get better when I ran it. The real problem came when I moved the tractor down the road 2 miles, and the person driving it did not use the hydraulics at all - by the time it arrived at the other place, I could hardly move the bucket. I have not pulled the filter but will do so tomorrow.

sounds like the pump has failed internally. noise is normally contributed to low flow to the pump, couplers worn or internal failure in the pump. i would check charge oil flow to the main pump before disabling the tractor. do you know how that procedure is done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot get onto it for the next couple of days, would Wednesday work for a call. What is a good time?

wednesday anytime

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am having some trouble getting this tractor running, so may have to make the call tomorrow, or it will be later this afternoon. Thanks for your patience here.

no worries

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot get my tractor started. I have charged both batteries to full capacity, cleaned all connections, and it turns over slowly as if the batteries are dead. Could this be related to the hydraulic problem?

yes it absolutely can be. if the front pump is trying to pump it will be hard for the starter to over come. to test this, rock the steering wheel back and forth while cranking the engine. that should dump off hydraulic pressure