Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I also have a 3010s. Some body has done some Shotty wiring

Customer Question

I also have a 3010s. Some body has done some Shotty wiring repair and splices. The lights flicker and the tach barely moves. I was on it earlier. I turned the lights on, then A second or two later it died. I turned the light switch back off and it fired up and ran fine ever since. Also I can't engage the pto unless I turn the tractor off. It just grinds while it's running if I try to engage it. I was told just to start it with the pto engaged. I hate doing that. It's gotta be hell on the starter. Any help or insight would be great.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

3010S, New Holland? I have no wiring diagram, but I find tht soldered wire joints work much better on the long haul than the crimped connectors. I would redo all the crimps and clean up the wiring. With electric shutoff at the injection pump, any loss of voltage will kill the engine. As for the pto, try adjusting the clutch pedal for less free play, the last protion of the clutch, as you push it don, is what disengages the pto clutch. so free play needs to be around 3/4 , any more and the pto clutch does not fully disengage, and can cause the gears to grind. Also try to engage the pto with engine rpm at the lowest possible rpm, without stalling the engine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry it's a NH not a Jd. There there are two different adjusting points that are attached to the clutch pedal. I am assuming the one in front and not the one in the picture? Is the one In the picture supposed to move when I press the clutch? And the last picture. That's the type splices I'm dealing with. I have no clue where they go to or why they are even there sticking out.

See link above. The pto lever is not part of the foot clutch, but the lever on the right of dash. The adjustment is 10. 11, and 12. Try shorting the linkage to give the lever more pull.

As for the splicing, I can't tell much about it from the picture. The frst picture of the linkage also does not seem to be clutch related! Maybe brake linkage?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both of those wires go up around the steering column into a harness I believe. The second pic is the pivot point for the clutch. 39 in the schematic I think. But I'm driving it up to the shop right now to try adjusting the pto lever some and see if it works. Also, every time I've tried moving the pto lever I've had it idled down as far as I could.

OK> try adjusting the pto lever. Th e# ***** does look to be the drive clutch pivot point!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After a little heat persuasion I got the adjusting sleeve to move. But I only got about a turn and a half out of it even heating it up. Could it already be bottomed out ?

Could be, how does the lever feel? Hard to pull or easy? What if you adjusted in the opposite direction?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a tad bit tougher to pull. Are you telling me to adjust it out ?

I would try it just to see if it may need to go the opposite direction, I can't remember!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That didn't exactly help. I broke the weld on the shaft that goes to the lever. And when it snapped I got a love tap from the piece that holds the tool box. Haha

When it rains , it pours! Sorry.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now that's a cracked vice. I think I'm gonna say to the hell with it for the day before somethin else breaks.

!! Wow , time for a beer!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm way way ahead of you. Actually got 2 at the moment. The second is for my arm and it also doubles as a backup for when the other one I got disappears.

oK, I will be here tomorrow.