Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I am trying to replace the starter motor on my John Deere

Customer Question

I am trying to replace the starter motor on my John Deere 3320 tractor.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: There are two bolts holding the starter motor on. I cannot get to the second bolt, that is behind the motor, to loosen the starter assembly.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at this time.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Are you using a 3/8 drive extension, with the same size socket as fit the front bolt? With a long 3/8 extension and metric socket, the bolt should be accessible. slip the socket on with the long extension, then use ratchet to loosen the bolt!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The starter is tightly up against the engine block. Yes I am using a 3/8 inch drive extension. Even to get it in to the bolt I had to disassemble much of the starter motor. I was hoping for some information about how to get better access to the bolt. No offense, but the information you have provided me is not particularly useful when you can't get free access to the bolt without taking a lot of the tractor apart. Are you looking at a John Deere manual with step by step instructions? This is something I cannot have access to on line from Deere. I can't take it to a shop because it won't start I have been spraying the bolt regularly with penetrating oil. I can get the 11/16 socket on it (with the 3/8 inch extension). It seems that the socket can't fully seat on the bolt head and slips off when any force is applied from the ratchet.

Thin 6 point, high quality socket, skip it on the bolt head and take a hammer and tap t on as far as it will go. If there is any dirt//grease buildup, ths will et socket seat and allow bolt to be loosened. Service manual does not give any other instruction. I find that this usually am interference problem caused by debris, may be a small rock is lodged between bolt and starter!